Use your own bacon?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

inkjunkie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Nov 25, 2014
Wondering if you folks that make your own bacon use it wherever you use bacon? Say like in ABT's, Fatties etc? Or do you use bacon purchased from a store? Only reason I ask is out of curiosity.....

Just started making Bacon did the first on Sun. and we will be using it for anything with Bacon.

I think I get where you're going with your question. Are you asking if folks treat homemade bacon as "special" and use it more sparingly, leaving the store bought for "everyday" things? I was actually wondering the same thing myself. I can't give you any firsthand knowledge yet as my first batch of bacon has one more day in the cure, but I don't think I'll be using it for ABT's or wrapping fatties. Main reason is that the thinner, cheaper store brand stuff is easier to wrap or weave than the thick premium stuff. Other reason is that this is a labor of love and not an inexpensive venture. I can't see using a pound or more just to wrap something in.
I'm sure I'd feel differently if I was making it on a regular basis.

I mostly use my own. I usually look at the specialty bacon counters in the supermarket though and sometimes buy some that looks different and interesting.

My intention is to never buy store-bought bacon again. I didn't have it in enough quantity for that to be possible, but now that I have a storage freezer, I can make a ton of bacon all at once and freeze it, and therefore I should always have bacon on hand. I also have a source for 30 lbs. of bellies for just over $2/lb ($1-$2 cheaper per lb. than I'm currently paying), so I'll be buying 30 lbs. at a time from here on out.

Last edited:

My intention is to never buy store-bought bacon again. I didn't have it in enough quantity for that to be possible, but now that I have a storage freezer, I can make a ton of bacon all at once and freeze it, and therefore I should always have bacon on hand. I also have a source for 30 lbs. of bellies for just over $2/lb ($1-$2 cheaper per lb. than I'm currently paying), so I'll be buying 30 lbs. at a time from here on out.
Don't know where you are but nothing, in my area like that.

I think I get where you're going with your question. Are you asking if folks treat homemade bacon as "special" and use it more sparingly, leaving the store bought for "everyday" things? I was actually wondering the same thing myself. I can't give you any firsthand knowledge yet as my first batch of bacon has one more day in the cure, but I don't think I'll be using it for ABT's or wrapping fatties. Main reason is that the thinner, cheaper store brand stuff is easier to wrap or weave than the thick premium stuff. Other reason is that this is a labor of love and not an inexpensive venture. I can't see using a pound or more just to wrap something in.
The bold & underlined above = is not the first time I heard that. Many do that for that exact same reason.

If I was big into wrapping or weaving, I would use store bought, and use the back of the knife to stretch it to twice it's normal length.

Bear

Q

We are on the same page here. I have almost 8 pounds of my homemade bacon in my freezer (also my first batch). But I also had 5 lbs of store bought bacon in the freezer. I was thinking what am going to do with all this store bought bacon when Id rather eat my own? So I decided that the store bought will be used for fatties, abts, etc. mostly in dishes where it's not the star of the show. I do agree that the store bought will be easier to wrap fatties in because of its uniform siZe and thickness. Either way, having too much bacon is a problem I can live with.

You my friend, are correct. Have been spending a lot of time on here while on my phone, typing on it is a bit tedious so I will often try to summarize things.

When i make home made bacon it doesnt cook up as crispy. Its still goodbut i only really cook it up for breakfast. Store bought bacon gets crispy and is a little easier to work with when wrappin, like stated above. thats my .02

Heck, I use cheap store bought bacon all the time. It's great for stuff like wrapping fatties, making bacon bits, using on a pizza...Really any where that you want some bacon flavour, you don't need to use (waste?) really good bacon.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky