Urgent, need help ASAP

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

utesfan

Original poster
Aug 19, 2007
I have a few minuted left of a 3-2-1 for ribs. When I took the ribs out of the wrap the temp was near 158-160. Well, since they have gone backin unwrapped the temp of the ribs has fallen to about 145-148. Why is that? And do I need to wait till the temp is 172 or should I just take them out after the 3-2-1 is over? Please help!!!! Thanks

I could never really get a good temp. on ribs. I usally take them off when the meat has pulled back around 1/2 from the bottom of the bone. Hope this may help you a lttle. The 3-2-1 method has always workedfine for me.

i never measure temp on ribs. i just smoke them for 5-6 hours unwrapped.

when you pulled the thermo out, you could have put it back in in a different spot. is it against bone? or in fat? that will make a misread. also, when pulled out to unwrap, the temp can drop a few degrees.

Chris_harper is right about the temp dropping a few degrees when you remove the foil. It's like feeling the difference when you remove a blanket that is covering your body.

At the risk of getting yelled at I say this: you are wasteing your time trying to get an accurate temp on ribs.

The meat is almost always too thin, and the bones are too close.

Save that for a brisket, butt, roast...almost anything else, but ribs are an art of the eye and experience.

Watch your temp and look for the meat to pull off the bone.

Welcome to the SMF the best BBQ site on the net glad to have you
icon_exclaim.gif

Reading temps on Kansas city style ribs is much harder than St. Louis cut ribs. The St.Louis style have that large "flap" meat at the bottom which does give a fair measure of temp in a fairly thick part of the rib. St. Louis style is hard to cook even but I like the amount of meat.

John D.

Deb, I think Mike and some of the people are in Oklahoma this weekend christening the new baby of Okie's. Probably don't have a puter, or the dove hunt and adult beverages have taken over.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky