Urgent, need help ASAP

Discussion in 'Roll Call' started by utesfan, Aug 25, 2007.

1. utesfan

utesfan Newbie

I have a few minuted left of a 3-2-1 for ribs. When I took the ribs out of the wrap the temp was near 158-160. Well, since they have gone backin unwrapped the temp of the ribs has fallen to about 145-148. Why is that? And do I need to wait till the temp is 172 or should I just take them out after the 3-2-1 is over? Please help!!!! Thanks

2. smokin for life

smokin for life Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

I could never really get a good temp. on ribs. I usally take them off when the meat has pulled back around 1/2 from the bottom of the bone. Hope this may help you a lttle. The 3-2-1 method has always workedfine for me.

3. chris_harper

chris_harper Master of the Pit OTBS Member

i never measure temp on ribs. i just smoke them for 5-6 hours unwrapped.

when you pulled the thermo out, you could have put it back in in a different spot. is it against bone? or in fat? that will make a misread. also, when pulled out to unwrap, the temp can drop a few degrees.

4. richoso1

richoso1 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Chris_harper is right about the temp dropping a few degrees when you remove the foil. It's like feeling the difference when you remove a blanket that is covering your body.

5. adb551

adb551 Smoke Blower

At the risk of getting yelled at I say this: you are wasteing your time trying to get an accurate temp on ribs.

The meat is almost always too thin, and the bones are too close.

Save that for a brisket, butt, roast...almost anything else, but ribs are an art of the eye and experience.

Watch your temp and look for the meat to pull off the bone.

6. johnd49455

johnd49455 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Welcome to the SMF the best BBQ site on the net glad to have you [​IMG]

Reading temps on Kansas city style ribs is much harder than St. Louis cut ribs. The St.Louis style have that large "flap" meat at the bottom which does give a fair measure of temp in a fairly thick part of the rib. St. Louis style is hard to cook even but I like the amount of meat.

John D.

7. deejaydebi

deejaydebi Smoking Guru

Alright PeculiarMike where that little toy of yours? Can it measure ribs?

8. short one

short one Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Deb, I think Mike and some of the people are in Oklahoma this weekend christening the new baby of Okie's. Probably don't have a puter, or the dove hunt and adult beverages have taken over.

9. deejaydebi

deejaydebi Smoking Guru

Ah yeah that's right. Guess I'll have to ask him when he gets back!