Twenty-seven-pound pork shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rmcrob

Original poster
Jun 9, 2020
We are ordering our groceries for pick up these days. I put in an order for a pork shoulder, expecting a 7-9 piece of butt for making pulled pork. What I got weighs 27 pounds. I haven't opened it yet, but it appears to be a single piece. It seems to have the typical blade bone near one end and I can't tell yet about other bones. Visibly, it looks just like the pork shoulder pieces I'm used to getting, but it is over a foot long.

First question: what is this thing?

Second question: I'm thinking of breaking it down into three pieces and freezing two of them. Does that make sense?

Our local grocery store had some that were that size and I was amazed at how big they were. Think they were on sale along the same price as a normal bone in butt. You got a piece of meat from a huge hog.

Yep it does to me, Id do the same thing

Reactions: JC in GB
You might have a true whole shoulder...the pork butt/shoulder and picnic shoulder portion. Do you have a picture?

Unless you’re doing a large gathering, you may want to break it down between butt and picnic (assuming that is what it is).

My guess is its a double back thats untrimed in one cryovac pack. Thats how I get them when making sausage. I see a lot of pork buts that are trimmed pretty clean of the fat at the grocery. An untrimmed one will have a very thick fat cap. Packed together end to end in one pacage will make it look like one extra long pork butt.

Reactions: JC in GB
And I am sorry the photos show up twice. Not sure how that happened.

27 lbs is a weird weight. If it all looks like meat, no skin, then you've got a 3 or 4 piece cryovac of pork butts. Cryovacs look and feel like one piece of meat until you open it.

If it looks like it has skin, is big on one end and tapers to a point on the other, you've got a monster pork shoulder.

Reactions: TNJAKE
I won't be opening it up until tomorrow evening. I'm leaning towards thinking it is a boston butt + picnic roast all in one. Assuming that is the case, I'll cut off the boston butt end and smoke it for pulled pork. The other end I plan to portion in two pieces. I wonder if it will really make pulled pork or if I should just plan on slicking that after smoking. Never tried that before.

I should mention that I'll be smoking with a new Masterbuilt Gravity 560, so I'm learning a new smoker plus getting a curveball piece of meat.

Last edited:
IMG_0496.jpg
IMG_0497.jpg

That looks like exactly what I thought it was. Most of the ones I buy are in the 25lb range.

I think you have a twin pack as well, but 27# seems heavy. 10# butts are harder to find anymore. And I've never seen a triple pack, maybe we'll all be surprised. Here are whole shoulders on the top, picnic and butts on the bottom. A whole shoulder is in the 20# to 22# range.
7rIKA.jpg

That's two butts packaged together. If you look at the 4th from the left black 'logo stamp' on the packaging that's the separation line. All the butts I buy anymore are packaged this way, and honestly I can't remember the last time I bought a single butt.

I will say, those are some pretty hefty butts to weigh out at 27lbs. The majority I buy range between 18lb to 21lb.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky