Turkey..Turkey..Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kellyhmc

Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
Centerville, UT
OK, So I have made a decision ....I am going to smoke a turkey for the 1st time ever. The sweat is starting to happen as I type this. I also decided to let you go through it with me if you like. Here is the set up: 30" MES, 11.60lbs of whole turkey, a Maverick thermometer, drip pan, and hickory chips, and last a brine.

Now you must know this will be my 4th smoke with the MES (other 3 times were ribs) ,so its time to expand the use of the smoker and my experience at smoking meats. I will definitely have Q-view as I go on this. Wish me luck
439.gif

It will go smooth just be aware of a few things...

1) NO STUFFING! You can loosely add some Herbs, Rub, quartered Onions, and/or Fruit, Celery and Carrots for flavor.

2) After the Brine, give the Turkey a day and night in the refer uncovered so the skin can dry. Helps getting it Crisp later.

3) The MES will not Crisp the Skin. If you plan to eat the skin, Best Part, You will have to Smoke the bird at 225*F or higher until the Thigh reaches an Internal Temp (IT) of 165*F then go in a 425-450*F Oven or indirect heated Grill and finish cooking until the Thigh reaches an IT of 175-180*F. This Oven/Grill finishing will give a Great Bird and a Crispy Skin.

4) Smoked Gravy goes nicely with Smoked Turkey. Here is a recipe you may like...

Place a pan with some veggies under the Turkey to make some Gravy. Good Luck...JJ

Smokey Turkey Gravy

1- Lg Onion,

4-5 Carrots,

3-4 Ribs Celery

3-4 Peeled Cloves of Garlic

Toss them in a pan under the Turkey, and let the whole deal Smoke for one hour,

THEN add 4-6 Cups Chicken Broth,

1/2tsp Dry Thyme (4-5 sprigs Fresh)

1/2tsp Dry Sage (2 sprigs Fresh)

1-2 ea Bayleaf

Finish the Smoking process to the IT you want.

While the Turkey is resting, dump the pan juices, veggies and all into a 2-3Qt Sauce pot and bring the Jus to a boil, lower the heat and simmer 20-30 minutes. Strain out the veggies and let the Jus rest a minute or so for the Fat to rise. Skim off the bulk of the fat then using strips of paper towel laid on top of the Jus then quickly removed, take off the last little bit of fat.Bring the Jus back to a simmer. Mix 2T Flour and 4T Chicken Broth for each Cup of defatted Jus. Whisk together to make a Slurry with no lumps, add a little additional Broth if needed. Whisk the Slurry into the simmering Jus, bring back to a simmer and cook 5-10 minutes to cook out the flour taste and fully thicken the Gravy. Adjust the seasoning with Salt and Pepper and serve.

The purpose of Smoking the Vegetable for 1 hour before adding the Broth and Herbs is...The Smoked vegetables Roast in the Dry heat concentrating their Flavors and Sweetness giving the finished Jus a Richer, Deeper, Full Flavor.

Serve the sliced Turkey with plenty of Gravy and Enjoy...

Reactions: McLoven1t562
Thats the only way to do it, just wade in with both feet. If you been doing ribs, the bird is going to blow your mind its so good. I always suggest you write stuff down, brine recipe, time in brine, drying time, rub, etc etc etc..... That way you'll know what you did and what you'd like to tweet next time. Before long you'll have your favorite way all figured out.

I have an MES also and I love fowl!!

Thats the only way to do it, just wade in with both feet. If you been doing ribs, the bird is going to blow your mind its so good. I always suggest you write stuff down, brine recipe, time in brine, drying time, rub, etc etc etc..... That way you'll know what you did and what you'd like to tweet next time. Before long you'll have your favorite way all figured out.

I have an MES also and I love fowl!!

Very good advice!!! (I always forget that!)

Thanks for the help and encouragement on this smoke everyone.

what I have done so far is to fix the brine and drowned the bird for the night.

Will get started on the rest of the project tomorrow .

OK, The turkey is in the smoker and know to let it do it magic.

I have tried many times to upload pics, but too no avail.
icon_question.gif

Maybe not enough posts just yet I guess. But will keep at it

1) NO STUFFING! You can loosely add some Herbs, Rub, quartered Onions, and/or Fruit, Celery and Carrots for flavor.

2) After the Brine, give the Turkey a day and night in the refer uncovered so the skin can dry. Helps getting it Crisp later.

3) The MES will not Crisp the Skin. If you plan to eat the skin, Best Part, You will have to Smoke the bird at 225*F or higher until the Thigh reaches an Internal Temp (IT) of 165*F then go in a 425-450*F Oven or indirect heated Grill and finish cooking until the Thigh reaches an IT of 175-180*F. This Oven/Grill finishing will give a Great Bird and a Crispy Skin.

4) Smoked Gravy goes nicely with Smoked Turkey. Here is a recipe you may like...

Place a pan with some veggies under the Turkey to make some Gravy. Good Luck...JJ

Smokey Turkey Gravy

1- Lg Onion,

4-5 Carrots,

3-4 Ribs Celery

1-2 ea Bayleaf

While the Turkey is resting, dump the pan juices, veggies and all into a 2-3Qt Sauce pot and bring the Jus to a boil, lower the heat and simmer 20-30 minutes. Strain out the veggies and let the Jus rest a minute or so for the Fat to rise. Skim off the bulk of the fat then using strips of paper towel laid on top of the Jus then quickly removed, take off the last little bit of fat.Bring the Jus back to a simmer. Mix 2T Flour and 4T Chicken Broth for each Cup of defatted Jus. Whisk together to make a Slurry with no lumps, add a little additional Broth if needed. Whisk the Slurry into the simmering Jus, bring back to a simmer and cook 5-10 minutes to cook out the flour taste and fully thicken the Gravy. Adjust the seasoning with Salt and Pepper and serve.

The purpose of Smoking the Vegetable for 1 hour before adding the Broth and Herbs is...The Smoked vegetables Roast in the Dry heat concentrating their Flavors and Sweetness giving the finished Jus a Richer, Deeper, Full Flavor.

I just wanted to quote this because I did this method with Canadian Thanksgiving this past october and the turkey was a huge hit.  I did it on a whim thinking it would be alright if it didn't turn out b/c I also did my normal 20 pounder in the oven.  We are going to friend's house for US TG this Thursday and she asked if I could make the Smoked turkey again!  I used Hickory and did not brine b/c it was a last minute decision.  I am also not brining this one b/c they really liked how I made it last time.  She said they had leftovers and the smoke flavour was especially good in soup after.

Smokey Turkey Gravy

1- Lg Onion,

4-5 Carrots,

3-4 Ribs Celery

1-2 ea Bayleaf

Well don't think I got the reply quite right. Apologies to all. I am going to give this a go with a 10 lb Turkey. Any thoughts on how long it might take in the MES and Oven?
Thanks
Greg

I did one on CDN Thanksgiving in Oct and another on US TG. Both about 13 pounds. I also have a Master built electric. I found the one in Oct took less time than Nov because of the outside temp. It was in the 40s in Oct and 20s in Nov and it took an additional 2 hours. I strongly recco the thermometer that shows internal temp and temp inside the smoker.

I used hickory and had great luck on both. I also got a nice crispy skin. The Nov truly took over 5 hours. Oct it took about 3.5.

Here's a 14# unbrined, uncured turkey I did on my MES30. Approx. 275 degrees, 4 1/2 hours. I pulled and rested it at an IT of 164, crowning out at 169. I had crisp skin but I think the breast was tuff, of course it was my first time doing the turkey so high..... <shrugs> it may have all been in my mind. Normally I start my MES at 275 let it preheat and dry out. Then after I see good smoke, I reduce it to my favorite of 220 to 230 then add the meat.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/147498/smoked-turkey-a-bds-tribute

Hope it helps with your question.

And remember to enjoy the smoke!

Last edited:
Reactions: capatin awesome

Smokey Turkey Gravy

1- Lg Onion,

4-5 Carrots,

3-4 Ribs Celery

1-2 ea Bayleaf

Can you provide me any information as to about how long you should expect to smoke a turkey as it relates to pounds? I know when doing a boston butt bone in, it's approx 1 1/2 hrs per pound and a typical stall around the 140 degree mark...... I've not done a turkey and really want to test one before thanksgiving.... I've done your AU JUS sauce with chicken and it is OUT OF THIS WORLD same with Beef....!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky