Turkey breast on the char-griller gravity

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tntragan

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 21, 2015
Reedsport, Oregon
I'm putting this new grill through its paces. Did up a bone in Turkey breast. Dry brined it last night. Cooked it for barely over 5 hours. Set the temp at 310 which was about 280 on my independent therm. Used some apple wood in the ash bin. Turned out really amazing. I can't hardly eat a Turkey any more unless it's smoked. So much flavor. I'm finding if I run the smoker at 500 degrees to start before adding the meat for about 30 minutes and then back it down to my cooking temps it burns very clean. I used lump charcoal for this one. I think I really like the lump for clean burning and a little extra flavor. I'll keep using both for awhile until I get a solid trial on this cooker.

Attachments

• 20220423_161316.jpg
    20220423_161316.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 20220423_165803.jpg
    20220423_165803.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 20220423_170023.jpg
    20220423_170023.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 26
Thanks David, the color is probably mostly due to the rub. I follow one of Jeff's techniques that has given me the most flavorful birds ever. I dry brine it with salt and sprinkle on Jeff's Texas rub. Let that set overnight in the fridge then I rinse and apply Jeff's original rub. Most of that comes off with the skin but it gives the meat some nice flavor. Oh and it was very moist.

Tom

Reactions: DRKsmoking
That turkey breast looks near perfect to me, and the only reason I say "near" is because it's not sitting on my table.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: tntragan
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky