Trying my first duck

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Getting the bird ready.

My only real problem is not having a big enough bowl.
1523579915667176680325.jpg

15235802327801924949358.jpg

Great color on the bird. Glad it worked for you. I have a pineapple glaze that I make for grilling wild duck legs and thighs @ the hunting camp...it's pretty good.

That sure is one fine looking duck.

Point for sure.

Chris

Great color on the bird. Glad it worked for you. I have a pineapple glaze that I make for grilling wild duck legs and thighs @ the hunting camp...it's pretty good.

I'm thinking I'll have to do a glaze next time, the meat itself, while juicy and tasty, I feel could have used more flavor. But for a fist attempt I am very happy how it turned out.

Mikey B,

You never mentioned if the duck was a wild or domestic duck. I never smoked a domestic duck or goose but here is a recipe I have used in the past many times. I would imagine domestic fowl would work just as well.

I have smoked countless wild ducks and Canada Geese using this recipe and it is delicious.

Matinated and Smoked Wild Goose/Duck

Marinade:

2 C Soy Sauce
1 C Brown Sugar
2 t Black Pepper
2 t Garlic Power
1 t Cayenne Pepper
1/2 t Ginger
And enough water to cover the bird or breasts depending on what you are smoking and place marinated bird in the refrigerator.

I have another fabulous marinade using red wine if you desire. PM me if you want that one instead.

Marinate the bird for at least eight hours.

Smoke the goose/duck at 200˚to 225˚ for one to two hours until the internal temperature is 165˚- 170˚ F. Try not to let the bird smoke too long or it will dry out and the sugar from the marinade will scorch.

Enjoy,

John
That sounds awesome . I will definitely try that. Thanks

Yum! I love duck, only way I've ever done it was stuffed w apple and onion, oven roast and baste w a mix of liquid smoke, kitchen boquet, worsh., and butter.

[" I'm thinking I'll have to do a glaze next time, the meat itself, while juicy and tasty, I feel could have used more flavor. But for a fist attempt I am very happy how it turned out. "]
I've done citrus/herb wet rubs under skin with oil or butter that really pump in flavors. Try different combinations of aromatics stuffed inside such as citrus, apple , onion, celery, fennel etc.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky