Trimming a brisket early

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokedWhisky

Original poster
May 13, 2020
Hi Folks,

I got myself some nice prime briskets to celebrate turning 21 (for the 25th time) this weekend. I normally trim them right before smoking but I was thinking about doing it ahead of time. (sharp knives at 2am after a few beers probably not the best idea). How far ahead of time do y'all normally trim them? I was thinking 12 hours should be fine. Wrap it up and throw it back in fridge until smokin' time.

Thoughts?

I've trimmed mine way ahead of time.I like my brisket to season in the fridge a minimum of overnight.

When I was cooking comps I would trim on Tuesday or Wednesday for a Friday night cook. Doesn’t hurt a thing. I think it actually helps a little bit to trim early.

Johnny Ray

Awesome! Thanks! Planning on doing a little experiment. Going to have one brisky follow the Franklin salt & pepper approach and the other using Harry Soo's rub/inject process. We'll see which one wins.

Reactions: Johnny Ray
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky