Trial By Smoke - Help! First Brisket for a Party + 5lb Chicken and 10 Brats... In a 16" smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Zathorious

Original poster
May 15, 2020
Hello,

I have made the mistake of agreeing to smoke a family member's birthday party for 8. I'm using an Napoleon Apollo 200. I do have a wireless alarmed thermometer.

A 9lb Brisket, a 5lb chicken and 10 brats. On the eve of the cook I'm freaking out a little.

I did a pork butt that was a big hunk of meat, 4.5lbs, not flat like this brisket, and it took from cold, 11 hours.

I'm budgeting 10.5 hours, 1.15 hrs per pound with a 3 hour buffer, will this be enough? I'm not starting to think I should go 18, because near the end I need to add on all that other meat which will dramatically drop the temp. I plan 225 and I will texas crutch but probably no liquid in with it at internal 160, and I understand that I can keep it on the smoker wrapped for a few hours at 203 with little to no damage, then if the other stuff isn't done put it in a cooler wrapped in a towel? I'll also use a hot water bottle to heat the cooler before putting it in.

What do we think about this plan? How long would you guys give for that chicken? I was going to spatchcock it as always but think now maybe cut it in half?

Yikes

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky