Tremendous Tomahawks!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You never cease to amaze me.

That's incredible
Thank you!

Beautiful plates and throughly enjoyable post to read. Bookmarking this as I plan on using your potato sauce to do au gratin daikon radishes someday soon. It sounds decadently delicious.
Thanks very much.
The potatoes were a hit.
But they need more cheese in the sauce and on top.
Also, I over filled the dish with sauce, too deep, was only supposed to be halfway filled.
I think bacon or ham would be good, but I wanted the cheese to be the Star of the Show.
I need better friends...
Don't overlook or take for granted who you have already, and make new ones at every opportunity.

And a great presentation too. What was your beverage pairing?

Tricky with the complexities of the fats and flavors.
Wine would be tricky. Too subtle and it will be drowned out by the meal, too bold and flavors complete leaving both the meal and wine understated.
Unorthodox, but champagne/cava/prosecco could work, but I'd consider a DIPA as the best choice.
Thanks, I have fun with my presentations, as enjoyable as the cook.
Flavored sparkling water.
No alcohol in my house except for cooking or medicinal.
I just do not know what to write here because I am finding it hard to type with drool all over my keyboard. :)
LOL... Thanks.
Not responsible for drool.
John that is a very nice gesture on someones part,you turned it into an artist palate POINTS
Richie
Thanks Richie, very kind of you.
I do find arranging plates for pics and presentation to be artful.

Wow! Just wow! I’ve never seen a steak that big let alone cooked one. You certainly did those the way they were meant to be...nothing short of perfection.

Talk about a money shot!! Like!

What did you think of those potatoes?
Thank you Joe, very kind of you in your assessment and compliments.
The potatoes were a big hit.
But I think they need more cheese in the sauce and on top.
Also, I over filled the dish with sauce, too deep, was only supposed to be halfway filled.
I think bacon or ham would be good, but I wanted the cheese to be the Star of the Show.
Thanks again for the recipe link.
They will be made again.
Man o man!
You just keep amazing me with the food you put out!
Absolutely delicious looking!
Al
Really do appreciate it Al, thank you.
I haven't had the pleasure of seeing any pizzas from you lately.
Don't tell me you got burnt out on pizza.
John....that looks absolutely amazing and simply gorgeous. You did your friend proud and did those steaks justice, especially with all the beautiful stuff you prepared to accompany them Fantastic job as usual. Big LIKE!!

Silly question though....what's your honest take on the seasoning? Any input would be greatly appreciated if you see room for improvement.

All I can say is WOW!!
Robert
Thank you Robert,
I tried my best to bring those monsters off at the perfect point.
Not much goes better with steak than a good Tater dish and Veggies.

Your Beef Rub tasted really nice in the bowl and on the smoked meat.
On the seared meat it became very subtle, had to lay some fresh on it.
That made a big difference, tasty too

John....congrats on the much deserved carousel ride!! If ever there was a worthy meal, this is it!!

Chili rockin' it again!!
Robert
Thanks again Robert.
The story behind this cook makes this one noteworthy enough for the carousel for sure.
My gratitude is great, and I'm humbled by the generosity of others.
What a culinary masterpiece! Adopt me. RAY
Too kind, too kind, thank you sir!
Your lawyer and my lawyer need to get together over a five Martini lunch and explore the possibility.
That steak is out of this world fantastic. I would love to get my hands on one of those. I think ill ask for meat for Christmas this year! Nice job!
Santa knows if you been naughty or nice... LOL!
It is, they were, my mind is still boggled at the graciousness of this gift.
So happy to have the skills to do it justice.

Yep....Chile started the trend of monster beef ribs, now I wonder if this will be the next trend he starts :emoji_anguished:

Chile....ever the trendsetter,
Robert
Well... I don't know about all that.
plenty of damn fine beef short ribs have gone through this place before I ever knew it.
My first racks were inspired by others here, and I just keep trying to raise the bar and inspire others.
Chile, this is an unbelievable looking meal! Those onions are really catching my eye. Nice job and terrific post as always.
Thank you very much.

The onions are a family favorite.
The pan is best seasoned with bacon grease and maybe some red pepper.
After that drop a steak in that pan and hold onto your tongue cuz it's going to be a wild ride.
What a fabulous present and beautiful cook/meal to celebrate the gift.

This place is true camaraderie for sure!! This is the best group of people I have ever met, learned from, been supported by, and on and on.

Merry Christmas Chili!
Thank you so much, couldn't have said it any better.
And an early Merry Christmas to you too.

Perfection Chili!

Like the SS top you have in your kitchen!

I need to get better friends........
Appreciated, thanks.

They're nice to work on and a breeze to clean. I have two of them, really like the shelf underneath for storage of large items.
There are about a $150. a pop at Sam's Club.
Perfection !! Great looking meal ( all of it ) !!
Thanks man,
I don't know about perfection, but it ain't too shabby.
Very hard to go wrong with what I was given to work with.
OMG!! Everything Looks Perfect, John!!
If there is any one particular Number One Cook out of all of your magnificent Cooks, this one would have a good chance of being that one.
Like.

Bear
Thank you John, thank you very much sir.
That is very high praise indeed coming from you.
Like I said earlier, I'll keep trying to raise the bar.

OMG! Finger sliding all over and off the keyboard from the droll. And I can't read the monitor screen any more, toooo much licking!
I need better friends!

Amazing cook! It all looks great! Im not sure i could eat a whole one of those with all the other fixins! I sure would give it my best shot though!

This place is true camaraderie for sure!! This is the best group of people I have ever met, learned from, been supported by, and on and on.

I'm finding myself more and more often jumping on the "me too" bandwagon, which is not my typical nature....but I gotta say "me too" on this one. Very well stated and very accurate. This is the greatest cumulative bunch of folks I've ever had the privileged of being associated with.

Awed and humbled,
Robert

If there is any one particular Number One Cook out of all of your magnificent Cooks, this one would have a good chance of being that one.

Here I am again on that "me too" bandwagon. I gotta agree with Bear. If ever there was a meal that screamed THIS IS THE ONE, well...this is the one. You've turned out some amazing cooks which have inspired so many people here, but this one is so far over the top it's indescribable. There are not enough adjectives in the English language to do this meal justice.

Once again....WOW!!
Robert

John well I hate to say this, but I've seen you do better........NOT. I think you put more effort into the plating then I do in the cooking. That plate looks absolutely fantastic.

Point for sure
Chris.

BTW: I bet the gifter is happy to find out your not an atheist.

BEAUTIFUL!!!
LIKE x 10
Thank you.

OMG! Finger sliding all over and off the keyboard from the droll. And I can't read the monitor screen any more, toooo much licking!
I need better friends!
Errr... Thanks? TMI!
Passes ofelles paper towels and a bib.

Amazing cook! It all looks great! Im not sure i could eat a whole one of those with all the other fixins! I sure would give it my best shot though!
Thank you, I couldn't finish one. I made it halfway through mine.The other two fed 4 adults and 2 kids after slicing, with leftovers.

OMG! This hit my funny bone!

Another awesome story. Great looking meal as always Chile.
Very kind, thanks man.

John well I hate to say this, but I've seen you do better........NOT. I think you put more effort into the plating then I do in the cooking. That plate looks absolutely fantastic.

Point for sure
Chris.

BTW: I bet the gifter is happy to find out your not an atheist.
Thank you very much Chris.
Yes, plating for pics and taking pics is as much fun as the cook.
I want the plate to scream, "EAT ME!"

Last edited:
Absolutely incredible on multiple levels!!!

First, the shear generosity of the SMF member in gifting those ribeyes shows, I think, the genuine feeling of brotherhood among the folks here that seems to be slipping away from everyday life. I'm sure the sender was anticipating the treatment that you would give them and then the sharing of your efforts.

Then the cook!! Oh my, I gain weight with each of your posts! The steaks nicely seasoned (can we find out more about tx smoker's rub?) and cooked perfectly! I nearly broke my monitor stabbing it with a fork! The taters look divine and I truly wanted to sample those onions, and I don't even like onions!!!

And finally the presentation. I'd swear you must photograph plate for a food magazine. I mean, it's easier with the fabulous items you prepare, but still it all looks so well staged it's incredible.

Keep up the good work! BTW, you can expect a note from my cardiologist!

Nice work . That's the perfect way to cook those .
Much appreciated Chopsaw, thanks.
Absolutely incredible on multiple levels!!!

First, the shear generosity of the SMF member in gifting those ribeyes shows, I think, the genuine feeling of brotherhood among the folks here that seems to be slipping away from everyday life. I'm sure the sender was anticipating the treatment that you would give them and then the sharing of your efforts.

Then the cook!! Oh my, I gain weight with each of your posts! The steaks nicely seasoned (can we find out more about tx smoker's rub?) and cooked perfectly! I nearly broke my monitor stabbing it with a fork! The taters look divine and I truly wanted to sample those onions, and I don't even like onions!!!

And finally the presentation. I'd swear you must photograph plate for a food magazine. I mean, it's easier with the fabulous items you prepare, but still it all looks so well staged it's incredible.

Keep up the good work! BTW, you can expect a note from my cardiologist!
Thank you.

Yes, a very generous person.
Such is far from gone in society today.

Never a doubt about it.

Not responsible for weight gain, shorted out keyboards or broken displays.

tx smoker tx smoker 's Beef Rub

3 T Montreal steak seasoning, ground in a spice grinder.
2 t Garlic powder
2 t Chili powder
1 ½ t Smoked Spanish paprika
1 t Black pepper
½ t Guajaillo pepper
1 t Ancho pepper
½ t Arbol pepper
¾ t Cayenne
1 ½ t Sugar
1 t salt
1 t Onion powder
1 ½ t Beef bouillon

Thanks again, the taters were excellent, my thanks to @xray for linking me the recipe.
The onions are a regular for me.

Appreciate the compliments on my pics. No professional experience, much less even a class/clinic.
Just an old Android phone and
I work at staging my presentation pics.
I took over 250 pics to get the ones I used.
Lots of ambient light, lots of different angles/distances and more.

Your cardiologist would probably do like mine... Ask for an invite to the next cook out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky