Tomato Pie -Just had to make it

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Even better than I anticipated! Thanks again for the idea (and also thanks to Wboggs too I guess!)
IaMTNqp.jpg

IPuIQgI.jpg

Reactions: GATOR240
Gator240
Don't want to high jack your thread but you asked for it so here it is.

1 pie crust
6 - 8 tomatoes if to watery drain We find pasta tomatoes work well not as watery
1 cup mozzarella cheese
1 cup mayo
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
bunch chopped basil
1 - 2 tablespoons chopped garlic

Preheat oven 325 degrees
Put pie crust in pan sprinkle with one hand full of mozzarella cheese and bake at 325 for about 15 minutes or until crust is brown and crispy. Chop tomatoes - mix mayo and rest of mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, basil, and garlic in bowl, put tomatoes in pie pan (you can pile tomatoes as high as you like) spread cheese mixture over top of tomatoes. Bake about 35 minutes or until brown on top and bubbly serve at room temperature.

You can modify garlic to your taste and use shredded parmesan cheese grated or powdery is to salty.

Warren
No worries Warren. Thanks for the recipe and the like, I will give this a try in a week or so as I am a big fan of garlic.

That looks even better than mine!! Yea, need to credit @wboggs as he's the one that got it started.
Like-

OK...got my pie baking as we speak. Yeah, in the oven.
My recipe is pretty much like the ones already posted. Except, I put 1/3 lb of Italian sausage in mine, and a teaspoon of Frank's Red Hot sauce.

The lil' woman wasn't too keen on cooking it in the smoker. I gave in...not a big deal. I wouldn't budge on the 'real' mayo though.

My question is....How much smoke do you taste in your smoked pies?

Being the first time that I ever had one, I did not smoke mine much at all, about 1/2 an hour. I decided to play it safe as I didn't know if my wife would even like it without the smoke (she wasn't a huge fan). There wasn't much of a smoke taste to it -no surprise there. I'm planning on making another one in the near future and will put the smoke to it along with some type of meat!!
Yours sounds real good!
Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

This was also my first one, I cooked it on a wood burning offset, with all oak wood for a little over an hour at about 230°. It took on a real nice smoky flavour.
We'll probably try one in the oven soon too.

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen.

I doubt the wife would think much of a smoky pie. "Happy wife = Happy life"

I'll probably make two next time. One smoked and the other in the oven.

Oh, today's pie turned out just a bit greasy. I should have degreased the sausage a little better.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky