To be my first build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I used foil backed board to insulate two sides of mine, so far it has worked out well just as long as you keep the heat at a reasonable level.  I would be very careful of the paint on the inside of that box,

I wouldn't think the paint would be too much of a problem since it will be covered with insulation, and another metal wall?

I used foil backed board to insulate two sides of mine, so far it has worked out well just as long as you keep the heat at a reasonable level.  I would be very careful of the paint on the inside of that box,
I am pretty sure the metal isn't as thick as it is on a UDS.  If I do do a test run without insulating it, what about the paint?  Either way I am pretty sure I want to insulate it, to help it last longer, and work good longer.  I plan on using it alot, and for a long time.

In sitting here thinking,,,,, you might be wise to get the vents set up and the stack also, then do a test burn to see how fast the temps come up. What you are building is similar to a drum smoker and I can't remember where anyone has complained about poor results even in the winter. I could have missed that tho.

OK, you were thinking of lining the inside of the box with insulation and then covering it with metal.

If that is the case I would think that you could get away with the foil back board that they sell at home improvement stores, and seal all the seams with food grade silicone.   What are the dimensions of that box,   It loos real tall, you may want to consider cutting a second door so you can tend to your heat source and chips.     a second door on the bottom would allow you to keep your heat in the top of the smoker and have a lot better recovery time.

Yea, it is tall, W24"xD18"xH74" (74" is the actual height of the box, it actually stands a couple inches or so higher then that).  It was mentioned before about making a second door, and I have been thinking about it, I have just been a little more distracted with how to do the vents. lol

OK, you were thinking of lining the inside of the box with insulation and then covering it with metal.

If that is the case I would think that you could get away with the foil back board that they sell at home improvement stores, and seal all the seams with food grade silicone.   What are the dimensions of that box,   It loos real tall, you may want to consider cutting a second door so you can tend to your heat source and chips.     a second door on the bottom would allow you to keep your heat in the top of the smoker and have a lot better recovery time.

I didnt look at a spec sheet but from using that stuff in the past, I would think it would melt.

All I seen was the R value?  3.3

All I was looking at at the time was that it was rigid.

Last edited:
I must be retarded, because I feel like an idiot trying to find anything for smokers.

Don't feel bad man, when I am trying to look for something in particular its like the massive knowledge of the Internet just simply hides.

I have wondered for quite some time now if cement board like they use to lay tile on would be acceptable in a smoker application. From what little bit I have read about it, is that it has a fire spread rate of 0. There are different kinds, some with portland some with particle flakes and so on, even some with fiberglass.

This is the part where my mind would think that, that part would be ok since its going to be with-in two walls. Such as your build, where you are going to line the inside with the board and then place another sheet metal layer between the board and the food.

Like I said I am no expert on this by any means, just my mind at work.

Hey Zaring,

Have you thought about getting your doors done and the fire area along with the shelves, and go ahead and use it for the summer the way it is. Its just a thought but right now my drum is sitting at 130 or so and there is no fire at all in it. Just the sun shining on the black paint. Now if it runs good then maybe think about just using moving blankets for the cold times you smoke. Tho they are not fire proof and they will burn, it takes quite alot to start one on fire from the outside of a smoker.

If you are going to have this rig set up in one place and not have much plan of moving it. Then find some fire brick or even just plain brick with no holes and stack them around the lower part of the cabinet where the fire box is. This will hold alot of the heat generated by your fire. You can pick up moving blankets for cheep and have them drape over the top and down the sides.

Tomorrow afternoon about 5 30 I drop my son off at 7 hwy and I 70. If you want I can drop by and check out your cabinet. I bet its close to the same thickness as a drum.

Tom

Well If I build as it is without insulating it, I guess the only thing I'd have to do later is cut down the racks by a half inch off of each side, and maybe clean it up.  I am a liitle unsure about the paint too if I use it as it is.  I doubt it is very heat resistant, and not sure it would be good to cook with it burning off.  I am planning on looking around for some expanded metal for the racks, some pipe and stuff for the chimney, and that kind of stuff after we get paid this Thursday.  I've also been contenplating using some flat baking stones around the fire area.  I also may need to figure out a way to split the door to seperate the cooking area, and the fire area.  I am thinking that I may be able to use the edges of one of the shelves to help with that.  I plan on cutting the edges off a couple of them anyway to thicken the floor some.

I'll PM you about coming by.  Thanks Tom

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky