To all you bacon lovers, you can now make safe, pink bacon without nitrates and nitrites!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Is it FDA or USDA approved????

From the Q & A section on their site about Econcure #1....

"ECO CURE has been on the market in Europe for a few years. It does replace Insta Cure, but at a 1% concentration. This product has not been FDA or USDA approved and is not yet recommended for processors because of this fact. It is, however, a phenomenal product that produces outstanding results. No, it does not need to be FDA approved as we are purchasing it from a reliable licensed vendor in the USA."

There was a discussion here not long ago about this, cajuneric from 2 guys and a cooler even chimed in. There were a few guys going to test it and post results, but I must have missed those posts.

Interesting. Polyphenols are an antioxidant popular with the anti-aging, live longer crowd.
Think I'll wait until I learn more about it. I've never had any problems or concerns about nitrites/nitrates.
Gary
Gary if you goggle EcoCure it should give you links to a medicine of the same name I saw it yesterday but have been to busy to check it out better. In the couple minutes I looked at it looks like it uses many of the same ingredients so I wonder what side effects it lists and if they would also apply to the cure I just didn't get that far.

Reactions: GaryHibbert
I’m pretty sure Rick bought some & has been using it, but hasn’t posted any results, at least I haven’t seen any. I guess if you’re eating a lot of cured meat then, I would think this would be a good product. But for us we may have something cured a couple of times a month, so for that little exposure, I’m sure I get more in a big salad, than in an occasional piece of bacon.
Al

Gary if you goggle EcoCure it should give you links to a medicine of the same name I saw it yesterday but have been to busy to check it out better. In the couple minutes I looked at it looks like it uses many of the same ingredients so I wonder what side effects it lists and if they would also apply to the cure I just didn't get that far.
As far as they say, there are no side effects whatsoever, completely natural citrus and herb extracts.

As far as they say, there are no side effects whatsoever, completely natural citrus and herb extracts.
People can say and do what they want but on SMF we go with what the USDA says as far as what we advise. Again people can and do what they want
I'm not going to imply this company is lying in what they say because I really have no idea about their product. That being said people and companies lie about things all the time so I prefer to have more than just a companies word for how safe their product.

They may be right. But once you are outside of the FDA/USDA's purview, you can claim anything, with no requirement for testing to back up your claims. The dietary supplement landscape is the Wild Wild West, with some vendors testing for safety and efficacy, some testing for one or the other, some testing so badly as to be useless, and plenty not testing at all, simply because they don't have to and can still advertise whatever benefits they want.

All Natural, Organic, Herbal labels can mean good things for the consumer...but not always. There is some scary, risky stuff out there carrying those same labels. To cite but one example, Ma Huang/Ephedra accounted for quite a few cardiac events, including fatalities, before the FDA stepped in and declared that it was no longer considered an herbal supplement, and would now be regulated as a drug.

That said, I'm not commenting on EcoCure, as I've not looked into it. I've no idea what data the vendor may have generated before putting it on the market.

I stick to my ways, follow the USDA and FDA guidelines and my tried ways from way back to 1975 when I started with this. Back then it was in glass bottles or bags.
SP3.jpg

We had no charts, graphs or internet, just handed down recipes, sometimes it worked and other times did not. I'm still walking and above the dirt.

My 2 cents.
Have fun and be safe.

When y'all decide to disclose the science behind this eco stuff, I'll give it another look. I want to know what compounds in the eco stuff perform the same curing action as nitrates to the same effect in the absence of any nitrates. Just you saying it does, doesn't mean anything at all without the data showing how the same curing effects are achieved using these "other" compounds.

When y'all decide to disclose the science behind this eco stuff, I'll give it another look. I want to know what compounds in the eco stuff perform the same curing action as nitrates to the same effect in the absence of any nitrates. Just you saying it does, doesn't mean anything at all without the data showing how the same curing effects are achieved using these "other" compounds.
Here you go, it's not a secret, you just have to be willing to search for it😉:
https://www.foodnavigator.com/Artic...rite-free-version-launches-in-the-UK-for-2018
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8954466/
https://www.researchgate.net/public...s_Natural_Preservatives_in_Fermented_Sausages
https://www.researchgate.net/public...tion_Structures_Sources_and_Action_Mechanisms https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC241928/

Last edited:
Well since this site uses USDA guidelines I wanted the fact that it isn't approved by USDA nor the FDA in this thread
Yeah, this is a European product that's been imported into the USA. Being that it's a natural product it falls under the USDA guidelines Title 9 - 317.2 and 381.11. Just like celery powder, beet juice, cherry powder, basically antimicrobials, natural nitrites, and natural antioxidants

You can find it here: https://www.fsis.usda.gov/sites/default/files/media_file/2021-03/FPLIC_4b_Sausage_Operations.pdf

Yeah, this is a European product that's been imported into the USA. Being that it's a natural product it falls under the USDA guidelines Title 9 - 317.2 and 381.11. Just like celery powder, beet juice, cherry powder, basically antimicrobials, natural nitrites, and natural antioxidants

You can find it here: https://www.fsis.usda.gov/sites/default/files/media_file/2021-03/FPLIC_4b_Sausage_Operations.pdf
Thanks for posting the link. Clears up a few things for me...now I understand the the USDA's stance on labeling.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky