Time to graduate from the ECB

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

trabba

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 3, 2013
SW Ohio
So, I've been smoking for about a year now and I'm ready to graduate from the ECB. I did the mods to it but feel it is a PITA when it comes to adding charcoal/wood especially for long smokes. I'm a weekend smoker and looking to try new things to add to my repertoire so ideally I would like to have something that is relatively easy to add fuel to and control temp with. I'd like to keep it under $200 or close to that if possible to keep the better half happy as well. I've only ever used the ECB so would prefer a vertical water smoker but I'm open on that front as well. Would love to hear thoughts and suggestions as I shop. And I promise I'll start adding pics of some of my creations for the advice. I always forget until it's too late. Thanks in advance.

I would go the mini-wsm route. They are easy to make with a few simple tools and I am pretty sure you can do it for around $100- Check out the mini wsm user group for ideas. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/groups/show/40/mini-wsm-users

Before you jump off the ECB boat, we have an ECB users group. We like to think of it as a support group. Come and check us out http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/groups/show/37/ecb-owners-group

Good luck on making a decision. You will have fun deciding what to do! 

Yeah, congrats but don't toss away.....I've seen some on here that are true relics and beat up but for a nostalgic smoke and a few pics still chug away.....good luck on your next unit....Please avoid the 2nd Generation MES's.....just my opinion...Willie

Char-Broil Vertical Gas Smoker $138.99 free shipping Walmart.com.

You can't beat the price for what you get.

Then use the money you save to get a digital grill/meat thermometer with wireless remote...if you don't already have one.

Last edited:
18.5" or 22.5" WSM.... the set-it-and-forget-it of charcoal smokers. I litteraly felt guilty by how easy my WSM was to use after having to babysit my old chargriller offset all night long.... lol.

I am in the same situation, I have ECB want to upgrade to something a little bigger, I am going to keep using my ECB and save a little more and get the 22.5" WSM, they last for years and I do have the ECB to keep me going, so I am just going to wait a little longer and get a good one.

I vote build yourself a mini wsm. For less than $100 you'll have an incredible little smoker. If you can grab a smokey joe off of Craigslist you'll save even more!

My youngest daughter REALLY got into the build and helped the whole time. She even picked out the sticker for the custom paint job.

Last edited:
Yeah a mini wsm is an option if it is large enough for your needs, and know how to cut a hole in a pan

I have a Lang 36 patio, which I cook most stuff on. I also have a Weber 22.5 kettle, which my wife uses to cook chicken. I cook Tri Tip on a Santa Maria Grill. Why I need all these cookers is beyond me but it's a hobby!!

Rib's (Baby Back & St Louis) and Salmon haven't worked for me on the Lang -- they come off OK but I'm not happy with the result.

Anyway, I've ordered a PIT BARREL COOKER for a couple of reasons. The most important is I can easily carry it with me in my motor home but more importantly, I think it will produce great ribs and salmon. I was thinking about a WSM for use on road trips and at home but for a purchase price of $289 I'm going to give the Pit Barrel Cooker a try. Take a look at the reviews the PBC gets -- I haven't found a bad review.

The above is just a alternative suggestion. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky