This is a secret, so don't tell anyone

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fire it up

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 24, 2009
South Jersey
Just a little F.Y.I about a new menu rollout menu item at Applebees.
I know, just another average chain restaurant like most others. Some people love it, some hate it, myself...I'm indifferent. I worked there for many years and still have contact with lots of people from there.
So, the new menu is going to include a BBQ pulled pork sandwich. From what I hear they will be mini-type like sliders and other places little mini sandwiches, also doing roast beef but it it's not made from a chukie so who cares? Obviously they won't actually smoke their own meat there, and I don't know how it will be coming in but hey, could be good? You never know.
As I get new info on it I will post it here if anyone even cares. Also I should be able to sample it about a month before it actually hits the menu so I will let everyone know what I thought of it.
Hope it was better than when they tried to do brisket.

I just don't get this fad! But apparently big breasted women are attracted to men who order small sandwiches! Good to know that I can now attract women at AppleBees too. ;)

Ok. Last night I was able to try one of the new "pulled pork" sandwiches from Applebees.
Overall it wouldn't be something I would go out and order (big surprise). He says when the pork comes in it is already pulled but does seem to have bits of pink ring in it. I couldn't taste any hint of smoke and the BBQ sauce they used had very little flavor, nothing special at all about the sauce.
The pork itself was extremely tender but who knows how much broken down fat was shredded with it.
Anyway, out of a possible 10. 10 being Jeff himself handing me one of his pulled porks 1 being a frozen crap pork entree. I would give this an overall 4 but just barely a 4.

Here is the pork in a nice microwaveable styrofoam container, though I dumped it in a plastic bowl...

It normally comes on a plate with 3 of these sized sliders, but my "contact" just grabbed 2 for each of us...

Only had provolone for cheese so tried one with and one without, it made absolutely no difference, and no, coleslaw doesn't come with it either...

hey can you ask your contact what kind of animal the riblets are from? I cant seem to figure it out. but I'm leaning towards rat
icon_eek.gif

Uuuuuhh, welllll, I just don't thin so! Looks like that stuff the mega marts sell an call Q! I work with a feller though I'm sure will tell me how great it is an that it be much cheaper then mine. My reply will be the same as usuall, please go enjoy yerself!

Thanks fer the heads up!

Well, it appears to be one more in the fake Q column - just cook some meat and pour whatever passes in their minds for BBQ sauce over it. Some folks will never understand that it isn't the sauce that makes it BBQ, it's the cook. And sauce can't fix bad cooking.

Sigh.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky