Thighs! Lots of thighs!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Were you monitoring the temperature of the thighs? I'm still learning, but I guess that I wouldn't worry about the darkness as long as they're not under or over the desired IT...around 175* from what I've read here at SMF.

I like to crispen up the skin a little, so I'll smoke them to about 170* IT (maybe a little less), and then pop them quickly in a pre-heated oven, or put them on a hot grill, which will raise the IT to where it should be.

Maybe this isn't the best way to go, so if anyone has suggestions, please advise!

Were you monitoring the temperature of the thighs? I'm still learning, but I guess that I wouldn't worry about the darkness as long as they're not under or over the desired IT...around 175* from what I've read here at SMF.

I like to crispen up the skin a little, so I'll smoke them to about 170* IT (maybe a little less), and then pop them quickly in a pre-heated oven, or put them on a hot grill, which will raise the IT to where it should be.

Maybe this isn't the best way to go, so if anyone has suggestions, please advise!
I think that is a great way to go, I always try and crisp them up a little on a grill but after talking about it with The Wife we are going to smoke them skin on and then serve them skin off, but maybe crisp up some skins for those that like a fatty treat.

I don't even bother checking internal temp until about 2 hours in. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky