Thawing Large Pieces of Meat?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lowcountrygamecock

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
What is the best way to thaw a large piece of meat? I have a 10 pound ham in the freezer that I want to cook. The last time I tried thawing just a third of a ham this size the middle ended up still frozen when it was time for the cooking. Any ideas?

The best way to thaw any meat is in the fridge or under a trickle of cold water. I have no idea how long ieither piece of meat would take to thaw though.

take it out 24 hrs in advance that should be plenty of time.If it thaws to early just throw it in the fridge.or put it in the fridge 2 days ahead and let it thaw in there.
PDT_Armataz_01_06.gif

It's best if you can plan a couple of days ahead. Slow thaw in the fridge will take a couple of days. I think you have better meat texture if you don't thaw too rapidly. The opposite for freezing. The faster you can get it frozen the better.

I wouldnt be too affraids to thaw a Ham out on the counter as it is probably cure anyway, but the proper way to thaw is in the fridge!
A large piece of meat can take a week if you have a fridge that is maintained at a proper temp below 40*
I usually take Butts out about 5 days before Im going to make sausage
and put them in the fridge. they are usually about perfect for boneing and grinding. about 33-34*

Uncle Lar is right, about 5-7 days in the fridge; keep it under constant temperature 40° or lower. Smoked ham at room temp can still grow lots of bacterias on it's surface; don't chance it, getting your stomach pumped is not how you should envision the results of your next smoke! The refrigeration retards bacteria growth while allowing the meat to unthaw above 32° - be sure to use something to capture the purge resulting from the bursted cell walls incurred during freezing that allows it's moisture to drain out.

Thawing in the fridge is of course the best route, but if your in a big hurry, throw it in the bathtub. Fill the bath tub with cold water. Drain and replace the water every 20 mins or so. Waste of water? Sure is, but you can thaw multiple turkeys, briskets or any other bulkly item very quickly this way.

Buuba just gave you a very important health tip, leaving meat to thaw at room temp is just asking for trouble. Remember that danger zone, between 90-140 degrees? Thta's when the sh*t happens.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky