Tell me your experience with sheep casings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I haven't used them yet, but I'm considering trying them.
Get some , you won't be sorry .
I listened to the horror stories for to long . Like said above have patience .
My first experience was easy , no issues at all . You will run into some though .

Here's my rule ;
If it won't load on the tube by the third try , I grab a different one .
I like to keep some water in the casing , and fill the stuffer and run the meat out to the end of the tube ( learned that from the guy above ) That way it pushes back into the casing and helps to spread it out .

I soak them and store wet per Joe's thread on how to handle natural casings .
I like the stainless tube for these .
20210731_142908.jpg

Reactions: Fueling Around
I've been out for awhile . Just grabbed some from Syracuse casing . 100 yards 20/22 mm
$46.00 free shipping .

100% patience.
Keep them wet even when putting on tube. if you have water in the casing when putting on tube dont worry about it.
This. I don't have a ton of experience with them, but enough to say patience patience patience.

I use the trick of putting baking soda in the water to make them slippery. My only problem seems to be stuffing them evenly, but I'm getting better. I have a blowout here and there. I just bought the LEM pre-tubed. I know people here don't like them but it's what works the easiest for me. I haven't tried storing them wet, though. That would probably work even better. When I was using the non pre- tubed I was struggling getting them untangled. But I'm sure that would be much easier if they are wet and slippery.

Reactions: chopsaw
If you store them this way they are much easier to use.
They will pull out one at a time, and I haven’t had a blowout in a long time. We use them for breakfast sausage links. They have a nice snap, when cooked.
Al

Reactions: chopsaw
I just bought the LEM pre-tubed. I know people here don't like them but it's what works the easiest for me.
Use what works for sure . The sheep I just ordered will be tubed . I'm going to see if I can soak them on the tubes and see how it goes . The Hog casings I took off the tubes so I could use my bucket .

When I was using the non pre- tubed I was struggling getting them untangled.
The ones I was buying from the sausage maker had 2 rings on them . One holds them together , and the other is stamped with the size . The casings are looped through the rings , so if you unloop them and pull from the center at the ring to get them out it works better .
Pulling from one end can get knotted up pretty quick . I've had my issues too .
These are hog casings , but you can see the rings . Storing wet like the link above is the way to go if you have that option .
20190302_113705.jpg

I haven't used them yet, but I'm considering trying them.
I find them a little harder to use than hog casing. I found this comment on Syracuse Casing's website and it make sense to me.

"[Pro Tip] If this is your first-time stuffing, hog casing is easier to use, breaks less and is more user friendly for the first-time user. While any meat can be put into any casing hog casing is normally used for a course ground meat and sheep casing is normally used for a fine ground meat"

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky