TD Entry- Candied baby back ribs with Jalapeño Cheddar Chaffles ”waffles”.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Texas Cookin'

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jan 28, 2019
Good morning SMF. So full transparency on the ribs Throwdown. My initial plan was to do baby back hand grenade tacos and use the waffle as the shell. To do these you smoke the ribs until they are FOTB tender. Tie a little string to the bone with a note that says pull before eating. It’s a fun concept.

Well I had one major problem. After getting the ribs rubbed down and on the smoker my wife informed me that the kids broke the regular waffle maker and all we had was the mini one that spits out Texas shaped waffles. Hmmm at this point I was a little dejected. I stopped taking pictures and thought well there goes my entry. And then 💡. Let’s make these ribs super sweet and roll with the Texas shaped chaffles. They should pair well together. So here was plan B. Like I said not as many pics as I wish I would have taken of the process.

I wanted some sweet heat initially when I had the taco idea in mind. Not nearly as sweet as what I went for when I shifted gears. I had them rubbed down with Meat Church Holy Voodoo rub. It is one of my favorites. When I decided to candy these bad boys I took them off the smoker about 2 hours in and hit them hard in the wrap. Parkay squeeze butter, lots of honey, brown sugar, tiger sauce.
IMG_2850.jpeg

Ribs back on the smoker wrapped and I have altered my plan. I was going to let them go wrapped until they were FOTB for the tacos. Now I want a little tug. They went in for about 2 more hours and then I unwrapped them. I glazed them several times in the next hour or so with the liquid that was left in the bottom of the wrap. About an hour of glazing and finishing up and they were done.

IMG_2851.jpeg

Ok now the Chaffles. These go great with any BBQ. We just call this ribs and waffles at my place. They can be keto friendly for those of you interested in that.

1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 eggs
2 tbs baking mix. Look for a Keto friendly one if you desire. I did not for this batch.
2 diced jalapeños.
1/2 tsp of your favorite rub.

Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Heat your waffle iron up and spray it with cooking oil on both sides. Pour in your mixture and use a rubber spatula to spread it evenly. Cook for about 5 mins until golden brown. Here is a closeup of the waffles.

IMG_2945.png

And well here is the final shot. The condiment cups 1. warm maple syrup. 2. Absolutely Wild BBQ sauce. I hit the ribs with one last shot of the candy glaze just before plating. I had so much fun doing this TD. I wish I would have taken more pictures of my process. Live and learn. Congrats to all of the other winners and thank you to everyone who took the time to enter, vote, and put this outstanding thing together.

IMG_2855.jpeg

Fred

Very nice Fred! I’ve had lots of chicken and waffles but never ribs and waffles but they is going to change now!

Fred that is one great looking meal. Congrats on the win. You deserved it for the creativity you brought forth.
Quick question...On the chaffle recipe. How many can you get with your measurements using a reg sized waffle maker?
Jim

Reactions: Redicans
Good morning SMF. So full transparency on the ribs Throwdown. My initial plan was to do baby back hand grenade tacos and use the waffle as the shell. To do these you smoke the ribs until they are FOTB tender. Tie a little string to the bone with a note that says pull before eating. It’s a fun concept.

Well I had one major problem. After getting the ribs rubbed down and on the smoker my wife informed me that the kids broke the regular waffle maker and all we had was the mini one that spits out Texas shaped waffles. Hmmm at this point I was a little dejected. I stopped taking pictures and thought well there goes my entry. And then 💡. Let’s make these ribs super sweet and roll with the Texas shaped chaffles. They should pair well together. So here was plan B. Like I said not as many pics as I wish I would have taken of the process.

I wanted some sweet heat initially when I had the taco idea in mind. Not nearly as sweet as what I went for when I shifted gears. I had them rubbed down with Meat Church Holy Voodoo rub. It is one of my favorites. When I decided to candy these bad boys I took them off the smoker about 2 hours in and hit them hard in the wrap. Parkay squeeze butter, lots of honey, brown sugar, tiger sauce.
View attachment 671652

Ribs back on the smoker wrapped and I have altered my plan. I was going to let them go wrapped until they were FOTB for the tacos. Now I want a little tug. They went in for about 2 more hours and then I unwrapped them. I glazed them several times in the next hour or so with the liquid that was left in the bottom of the wrap. About an hour of glazing and finishing up and they were done.

View attachment 671654

Ok now the Chaffles. These go great with any BBQ. We just call this ribs and waffles at my place. They can be keto friendly for those of you interested in that.

1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 eggs
2 tbs baking mix. Look for a Keto friendly one if you desire. I did not for this batch.
2 diced jalapeños.
1/2 tsp of your favorite rub.

Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Heat your waffle iron up and spray it with cooking oil on both sides. Pour in your mixture and use a rubber spatula to spread it evenly. Cook for about 5 mins until golden brown. Here is a closeup of the waffles.

View attachment 671655

And well here is the final shot. The condiment cups 1. warm maple syrup. 2. Absolutely Wild BBQ sauce. I hit the ribs with one last shot of the candy glaze just before plating. I had so much fun doing this TD. I wish I would have taken more pictures of my process. Live and learn. Congrats to all of the other winners and thank you to everyone who took the time to enter, vote, and put this outstanding thing together.

View attachment 671656

Fred
Great entry! Really like your presentation!! And the waffle idea is something I must try!!

Fred that is one great looking meal. Congrats on the win. You deserved it for the creativity you brought forth.
Quick question...On the chaffle recipe. How many can you get with your measurements using a reg sized waffle maker?
Jim
Jim,

I got about 6 of the mini chaffles out of this batch. The Texas shape is even smaller than the normal round mini machine. I did 2 batches and we had plenty. My guess would be about 3 normal size chaffles with this recipe. Thanks for the kind words.

Fred

Reactions: JLeonard
Great entry and way to roll with the punches! I'm a chaffle fan
Thanks Jeff! Also huge thank you for donating to the prize pool for the Throwdown. I can’t wait to try your amazing hot sauce’s that I have heard so much about. Hey maybe one of them would pair well with ribs and chaffles?

Fred

Great entry! Really like your presentation!! And the waffle idea is something I must try!!
Appreciate it red. Presentation is something that I am definitely getting better at. Give the chaffles a go they are delish!

Fred

You did a great job. I like the waffle idea
Appreciate it! This waffle cook has given me so many ideas that I want to try. Next time I think I may add red bell pepper for color.

Fred

You had me on this! Just loved it. I actual guessed that this was from our Keto Chef Jeff which is a big compliment to you. Well Done!
Thanks Brian that means a lot. I have learned a ton from this forum. Being compared to any regular on here is a compliment.

Fred

Absolutely gorgeous Fred. I knew as soon as I saw your entry that it was quite possibly going to take home the bacon. ribs are perfection but the presentation is off the charts!! Very nice job buddy.

Robert

I'd have a hard time turning down a plate of those ribs Fred. Nicely done.

Point for sure
Chris

Absolutely gorgeous Fred. I knew as soon as I saw your entry that it was quite possibly going to take home the bacon. ribs are perfection but the presentation is off the charts!! Very nice job buddy.

Robert
Thanks Robert I appreciate the kind words. I made sure to take my time and make it look presentable. I had to redeem myself for my well below average entry in the burger Throwdown.

Fred

I'd have a hard time turning down a plate of those ribs Fred. Nicely done.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris! The ribs were nice and sweet. They paired well with the chaffles.

Fred

That is one tasty looking plate and nice TD entry! Congrats on the second place Judges vote!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky