Tailgating

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

marty vw

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Pella Iowa
Who is planning the first tailgate smoking party of the year,
and what will you be smoking? And at home or at the stadium.
Lets hear from all the football freaks in here

Well..........Our damn university (KSU) just gave A-hole coach a five year extension on his contract. Can't be that excited about it. Bums out my smokes. May have to attend ya'lls tailgate.

Hey Wayside Ranch the tailgating and the game are 2 different things.
You can a have crappy team or coach and the tailgating can still be fun. Just have a beer or ten.

I'm a tailgate monster.
Actually won the Jack Daniels "Best Tailgater" award for the state of Minnesota. (I have pics but am frustrated w tryin to figgur out Q view)

Truthfully, I try to make my delicacies to reflect the opposition.
For Instance, Last night we played the Seahawks. (Sea Chickens)

I made lemon chicken. Great dish.

We call it EATING or GRILLING the enemy.

"Theme" for the game.

My say is think of who you're up against and perhaps ANY special dishes might come from that city and say you're having a "throwdown" but they were too lame to show up!

I LOVE Cajun food and am sorry we don't play the Saints more.

Also be creative.
Last year I made "Drunken Turducken Chili" for a game close to Thanksgiving and Madden was announcing.

I just made it up and people were begging for more.

Pretty cool.

I've been close to being at every Bucs game the last 10 years, but this year they wanted to much $$$ for my seats, so I canceled them, it wasn't a easy decision.

I tailgated with my 2 Webers every game, I made just about anything you could think of from blackend grouper, cheese steak sammies, steaks, pork loin to a whole Turkey. This year I plan on using my SnP every week right here at home with the game on HDTV.

That's why I've been using it some much in the last 3 weeks, I'm trying to hone my skills.
smile.gif

Brother, you ever get up here you're MORE than welcome to tailgate with us! We have fun.

PM me and I'll fill you in.

SKOL
Vman

Thanks for the invite Vman!! As much as I'd love to head north and do some tailgating with you and your crew on a cold December afternoon, I don't think I can make it, but you never know, right?

For 10 years I had a reserved parking spot at a local guys house almost right across from the stadium. We were under a nice big oak tree and had the room of about 3 parking spaces. I have a Ford cargo Van and we load it it with the grills, coolers, chairs, a couple of 6' folding tables, and a small 10' x 10' canopy just in case it rained. We would put up the battle flags and banners, and would have a regular group of at least 15 people. It was great because we could heckle the opposing fans as they walked right passed us to the stadium, all in good fun of course. One of our guys set up a small message board and we would plan out who would bring what food wise, but I was the guy that did most of the cooking, I loved it, and I'm going to miss it.
cool.gif

OKLAHOMA SOONERS !!!!!!!
ALL THE WAY...
WAYSIDE IF YOU'RE NOT HAPPY WITH YOUR TEAM YOU CAN COME ON OVER...WE PLAY YOU'LL THIS YEAR....YEA

FOOTBALL FEVER.....

Solar brings up a good point I missed.
Spread the cost out.
Or charge per head or ask for donations.

Folks I'm with we just all bring something, not assigned and we all just have fun. It all comes out in the wash as they say.

Of course, there are mooches and people who don't contribute but WTF?

Broke College kids are ALWAYS invited. Hey, we were all there once. At least broke anyway. :)

I mean, if you can spend $6 on a half dozen brats but a brat in the stadium is same cost, what does it cost you to share?

Spread the love baby!

Rather spend Six outside and help folk than give it to the stadium.

Just an example cause I cook WAY more servings than that but you follow the thought.

Case of beer for $20 = 24 beers in the lot. But at $6.75 each in the Stadium. You get it.

Nother thing.
You have to consider outside temp during tailgate.
NO MAYO in heat - use Vinegar recipes.
Picnic recipes. Fried Chicken and stuff.

Cold weather - depending on cold - you just gotta tweek and ALLOW MORE COOKING TIME for issues that arise from the outside temp.

BE CAREFUL with your cast iron in COLD temps so they don't crack.

CLEAN UP YOUR SITE!
SHARE WITH OTHERS!
HAVE FUN!
DRIVE SAFE!

Oh, and don't be afraid to share "New Cuisine" with others. Introduce them to something unique or uncommon.

I respectfully propose a Tailgating Area to this site where folks can share game day ideas, recipes, Quick Make Ahead dishes (cause it is Church day afterall), Smoking Ideas, Decor, Links to tailgating sites ( of which, I have more than a few), etc.

SKOL VIKINGS! ! ! ! ! !
SUPER VMAN!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky