Longer lasting grill/smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Were are is the main rot on the 850 ?
Replacement parts for MB are pretty inexpensive. Granted, you shouldn't necessarily have to replace parts at the 3 yr mark but I love my 1050 and plan to add the new version as soon as I can locate the XT.
Store mine uncovered in the carport and have had to replace the heat manifold due to rust. Also have have a small spot on the firebox door but not enough to worry with at the present .

Keith

The rot is everywhere inside the cooking chamber. The grates are almost ready to fall into the chamber because the little shelf at the back that supports them has corroded and only about 30% is left. I don't think I do anything wild with it for this to happen. I've used it on average twice maybe three times per month. Some months a lot more than that, some months I didn't use it at all.

The heat manifold started to rust pretty bad after 2 or 3 months of using it almost every week. Oh the excitement of a new grill :-) . The screws that hold it in place were already un-screwable at that time. I wanted to pull it out to inspect it, forget it, impossible.

At the time I didn't think much of that, but now I realize the unit isn't made to last. A pity because I love it (as you do) and the flavor from using basic charcoal is very nice.

Reactions: DieselTech
This would probably be the one for me ..
if I wanted to burn some pellets.
Made and assembled in the US.
Stainless and a beast. 20240507_143103.jpg

• Love
The key is 304 Stainless all over. Though part is the hinges, screws etc which many do not use the right material. Any unit with this standard comes with a premium price. Affordability depends on the depth of one's pocketbook. I my case I have two units, the MAK does the smoking and the Hestan does the grilling. Each is excellent in what they do. Did a lot of research prior to purchasing the MAK. Did the same for the grill.

Never heard of Hestan. Looks very nice.

I use my MAK for smoking and when I need high heat or grilling I use my BGE which has held up exceedingly well.

I had a Masterbuilt 560 and it lasted about 4 years. I live in MN and kept it under a covered patio. I would say it's built out of inferior materials. Thin steel.

I had a RecTeq prior and while it was built much better it didn't come close to producing the same flavor as the MB. If I were you I'd consider the Camp Chef Woodwind Pro because you can add wood chunks and/or charcoal to supplement the pellets. If you need to sear you can add a sidekick sear station.

Another option would be the new Weber Searwood. Any other standard pellet cooker will likely not have the flavor output compared to the MB.

I had a Masterbuilt 560 and it lasted about 4 years. I live in MN and kept it under a covered patio. I would say it's built out of inferior materials. Thin steel.

I had a RecTeq prior and while it was built much better it didn't come close to producing the same flavor as the MB. If I were you I'd consider the Camp Chef Woodwind Pro because you can add wood chunks and/or charcoal to supplement the pellets. If you need to sear you can add a sidekick sear station.

Another option would be the new Weber Searwood. Any other standard pellet cooker will likely not have the flavor output compared to the MB.
Thank you very much for this information!!

Very useful in my search for a new grill soon.

Mineral Oil and other food safe oils are your friend in fighting rust.
As Chris suggested, that with electric and pellet smokers, there are a lot of moving parts and electronics. For longevity, your best bet would be a offset, kettle, Pit Barrel or another ceramic coated simple smoker. Even under cover, but outside in a humid environment will not stop the rusting/corrosion.

- Jason

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky