Summer Sausage Issue

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bertman

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 27, 2013
Heartland of America
I ordered the Old Fashioned Summer Sausage seasoning from PS Seasoning, and followed instructions perfectly. I've made hundreds of pounds of sausage and snack sticks before, sometimes even from scratch. The fry test seemed very bland, but I went ahead and smoked a 12.5 lb. batch. It is terrible. Just awful. Not in a "something spoiled" kind of way, just a complete lack of flavor. Well, except for the smoke. Thank God I smoked it.

Anyone else have issues with PS Seasoning, or the Old Fashioned seasoning in particular? Or does anyone have an idea how I can use up all of this sausage and not throw it away? It needs to be dressed up with some flavor. Even paired with smoked cheese on a cracker, it still disappoints.

Reactions: JLeonard
I have not used that seasoning, but the batch I made was mild as well.
I believe that is the nature of summer sausage.
Salami gets more tang to it.

My one experience with PS Seasoning for summer sausage and also breakfast sausage was on the bland side (as well) and a bit salty. Haven't used it again.

Not sure what diameter summer sausage you made, but say it is about 1.5" diameter or less, I would put a chunk in a resealable bag with some spices and rest it in the fridge for a couple of days. Maybe some garlic powder, or chipotle seasoning, or....hopefully it will pick up a bit of flavor that way.

I'm a big fan of their Seven Peppers snack stick seasoning and some jerky seasonings of theirs but was disappointed in the summer sausage and hot Italian seasoning I bought. I've yet to find a seasoning brand where everything matches with my tastes. Would be nice though!

I use very few store bought seasoning blends, and I always do the 'fry test' on every formulation (even my tried and true ones because it's a great snack). Sometimes I'll even make a 3# test batch and keep it in bulk, and evaluate it maybe with some sausage burgers or some meatballs. It's cheap insurance.

Often my complaint with new recipes is too heavy on the salt. Plus I really like garlic, so I'll often increase that. If the PS blend didn't have the 'pop' you were after... the fix might be as simple as increasing their recommended amount per pound.

Reactions: bertman
I use very few store bought seasoning blends, and I always do the 'fry test' on every formulation (even my tried and true ones because it's a great snack). Sometimes I'll even make a 3# test batch and keep it in bulk, and evaluate it maybe with some sausage burgers or some meatballs. It's cheap insurance.

Often my complaint with new recipes is too heavy on the salt. Plus I really like garlic, so I'll often increase that. If the PS blend didn't have the 'pop' you were after... the fix might be as simple as increasing their recommended amount per pound.
I get in a hurry sometimes and roll with it. That will never happen again. I ended up using the same kit, but added my own spice blend to the cubed meat before grinding, and as you suggested, increased the amount of their spice blend based on fry tests. It was also so bland that I used ECA and made it a tangy sausage.

I served this and a garlic sausage (which I also increased the spice amount based on fry tests) at a party for my wife, and both sausages were raved about. A good friend even wanted to know where I bought them, and didn't believe me when I told him I made them.

I've tried making my own spice blends from scratch, and never been overwhelmed with the results. After years of making summer sausage and snack sticks, and quite literally hundreds of pounds (small batches), I have yet to find one that makes me stop searching.

I've tried making my own spice blends from scratch, and never been overwhelmed with the results. After years of making summer sausage and snack sticks, and quite literally hundreds of pounds (small batches), I have yet to find one that makes me stop searching.
This is because we all have unique tastes, or maybe we like to think that a personal touch makes something better. 👍

Try a search in the archives for summer sausage recipes from a member nicknamed "Disco", he has several. Below is a link to his webpage, I've used his recipes as a guide a few times.

Reactions: bertman
I tried a few mixes including PS and found them all mostly bland. My go to mixes are AC Leggs. I've yet to be disappointed. I grab them on Amazon.

SS is actually a pretty easy formula. IMO it's salt, BP, mustard, and a hint of allspice. Of course, you can add stuff you like garlic or what have you but I like to keep my formulas basic or "classic" as I call it. I was intimidated a long time doing my own but not any more. I started with Marianski's formulas and then tweaked to my liking. The green book is a MUST have if you truly want to get good at this stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Home-Production-Quality-Meats-Sausages/dp/0982426739

https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-recipes/summer-sausage

20221113_061953_resized_1.jpg

I ordered the Old Fashioned Summer Sausage seasoning from PS Seasoning, and followed instructions perfectly. I've made hundreds of pounds of sausage and snack sticks before, sometimes even from scratch. The fry test seemed very bland, but I went ahead and smoked a 12.5 lb. batch. It is terrible. Just awful. Not in a "something spoiled" kind of way, just a complete lack of flavor. Well, except for the smoke. Thank God I smoked it.

Anyone else have issues with PS Seasoning, or the Old Fashioned seasoning in particular? Or does anyone have an idea how I can use up all of this sausage and not throw it away? It needs to be dressed up with some flavor. Even paired with smoked cheese on a cracker, it still disappoints.
Never used that seasoning, though I recently did a batch and used the recipe from Chudds BBQ youtube channel. Tons of flavor

Last edited:
I'm here trying to be helpful.
Being helpful is good.

But posting to go to your business for help is another issue.
If your a paying forum sponsor your ok, if not then?
Posting to go to your website (located under your posts) IMHO Is advertising

Not sounding like being an @$$ but if we all post business links then the forum is lost to advertising. If I'm wrong I'm sure the Admins will call me on it

Being helpful is good.

But posting to go to your business for help is another issue.
If your a paying forum sponsor your ok, if not then?
Posting to go to your website (located under your posts) IMHO Is advertising

Not sounding like being an @$$ but if we all post business links then the forum is lost to advertising. If I'm wrong I'm sure the Admins will call me on it
I was told by an admin if I paid for premium membership I can have my website in my signature. I won't promote my business in comments anymore. That was my mistake. New here and trying to understand the rules. Thank you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky