Stainless, Non-Stick, Cast Iron, or something else

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bmudd14474

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 1, 2008
Florida
Long story short we have a set of pans we purchased 10yrs ago with a lifetime warranty and the coating has failed. The company is replacing them which is great as they were several hundred dollars but it got me thinking about what I would buy if I could.

We have used several inexpensive brands over the years but they seem to fail quickly. I have looked at HexClad as they look good, Costco has a set of non-stick that looks good. Just so many options.

So I figured id see what everyone else is using.

In addition to the non-stick we have we also have a decent cast iron collection.

So what type of pans do you folks prefer to use?

Reactions: JLeonard
We received a set of Revere-ware stainless steel pots and pans for a wedding present back in 85. They get used basically everyday and still look as good as the day we got them. We also have a couple of cast irons that get used once in a while, but I hate the maintenance. As for none stick we've gone thru our share. I basically consider them a disposable item. They'll get used for omelettes and grilled cheese, but that's about it.

Chris

I should mention that the cast iron gets used for dishes that have to go from stove top to oven because the stainless isn't oven compatible.

Mine are all family cast iron hand downs , or gifts bought for me .
I have a set of mid 80's Revere ware that I got when I bought my first house 35 years ago .
I use it everyday .
I don't see ever needing anything new unless I want something .

I also use a carbon fiber skillet of my Son's . Love that thing .

I have a set of stainless Williams-Sonoma pans - they're comparable to All-Clad but have much more comfortable handles and were less expensive. The lids are also nicer than All-Clad lids.They were made in Italy by Heston. I've had them for over 10 years and they still look great; I primarily use them on my induction cooktop but they're oven safe and I have used some of them in the oven. The handles on both the pans and lids stay cool except when used in the oven. The line includes some non-stick pans butII don't have any.

Williams-Sonoma also has a less expensive stainless line that doesn't have the stay cool handles and is made in China. I bought my niece a set as a wedding present and they're pretty nice pans as well.

We bought a set of T-fal Ultimate Hard Anodized Nonstick pans a couple years ago and they have been good so far. We have had T-fal for years and the earlier stuff lost it's coating over time. I researched several different sets and this one rates as one of the best non stick at the time. Oh they can also be used in the oven

Reactions: HalfSmoked
Mine are all family cast iron hand downs , or gifts bought for me .
I have a set of mid 80's Revere ware that I got when I bought my first house 35 years ago .
I use it everyday .
I don't see ever needing anything new unless I want something .

I also use a carbon fiber skillet of my Son's . Love that thing .
chopsaw chopsaw
I just saw this was an old thread, but I'm still interested in your response.

Carbon fiber for cooking? Did you mean carbon steel?
If it is actually C.F. I'd love to see it, as I've never seen C.F. cookware let alone heard of it.

I love cooking in carbon steel pans, there is a reason that damn near every Chef worth their own salt uses them, they are the best of the best in my opinion.

Did you mean carbon steel?
Yes carbon steel . Good catch . I do that all the time , but usually catch it myself .
I bought him one for Christmas one year . First time he used it he burnt whatever he was doing . Heats up fast and takes way less heat to run it . He blamed the pan , so he wasn't using it much . I love the long handle on it . One day I was using it to do a lemon chicken cutlet thing . Everything was awesome ,, until I squeezed the lemon in the pan . Slowly stripped all the seasoning ( factory ) off the bottom . Ruined my supper too . Lol . Anyway , he's figured out what it likes and uses it all the time now . Great pan .
This is after a re-season . Actual seasoning , not whatever the factory had on there .
20220122_172716.jpg

Yes carbon steel . Good catch . I do that all the time , but usually catch it myself .
I bought him one for Christmas one year . First time he used it he burnt whatever he was doing . Heats up fast and takes way less heat to run it . He blamed the pan , so he wasn't using it much . I love the long handle on it . One day I was using it to do a lemon chicken cutlet thing . Everything was awesome ,, until I squeezed the lemon in the pan . Slowly stripped all the seasoning ( factory ) off the bottom . Ruined my supper too . Lol . Anyway , he's figured out what it likes and uses it all the time now . Great pan .
This is after a re-season . Actual seasoning , not whatever the factory had on there .
View attachment 694349
That is a great looking pan.

Oh, I do it all the time as well, guess we are getting old.:emoji_laughing:

Reactions: bmudd14474
I have a carbon steel 8" fry pan I bought in a Santa Monica CA French bakery in 1976 and we use nearly every day. I use cast iron the most and All Clad stainless as well, we too have Revere Ware from our wedding in1974 and the 3 qt sauce pan is our vegie steamer also used most days

I find most coated pans fail in 5 years. If yours lasted 10, I'd say you're lucky. PLus your seller is still in business and appears to be standing behind their lifetime replacement, so that's extra good news. I'd take the new ones, use them for another 10 years and then exercise the lifetime warranty again.

Whatever you're doing (and they're making) seems to be working. Why change?

Most car part joints don't offer lifetime warranties anymore because Car Guys keep their cars so long the warranty expense was adding up for them. But most consumer products just get thrown out...even if they offer warranties, most folks don't exercise them. (Then again, these companies are frequently out of business when their products wear out.)

Hat tip to Olde Thompson pepper (& salt) mills. I'm not sure they're the best but they have a lifetime warranty and they were better than great when I had an issue. Hope you get the same treatment with your pans.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky