Struggling with new Lodge 12"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hijack73

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 9, 2020
SC, just a smidge from Charlotte
I used to use cast iron quite a bit, and had several good vintage smooth surface pieces. On older ceramic/glass top stoves, they scratched the everloving dog snot out of them and I got rid of all but one favorite. An 8" that has been relegated to my roux pan.

Was at Ollies a few weeks ago and they had a 12" Lodge for $12, so I bought it. Thanks Steve.......

I ran mine though the process 5 times (with bacon grease) until I was happy with what it looked like. I broke it in with a grilled ham and cheese sandwich, and it turned out beautifully. Did a steak, turned out fine. Last night I gave it the ultimate test, a can of corned beef hash. It stuck like chuck and yes, I even added a little oil to help it get rolling. I have used bacon grease in the past to season, and never had this problem. Should I strip it down or would it be ok to Crisco over the polymerized bacon grease? Was bacon grease the problem? This is my first "textured surface pan" and I know they are fine if seasoned correctly, but those taters and even the meat hit it and set up like instantdry concrete. Is it just a learning curve with the textured surface? My old vintage pans were seasoned the same way and only ever stuck if I didn't add a little oil.

this same pan
1701815423651.png

Kinda sounds like canned corn beef hash was the problem
That's exactly what it is . I have the same trouble with cast iron that has years of cooking and seasoning on it , when doing canned corned beef .
Should I strip it down or would it be ok to Crisco over the polymerized bacon grease?
Get the stuck junk out of it and hit it with some oil of your choice and carry on .

That's exactly what it is . I have the same trouble with cast iron that has years of cooking and seasoning on it , when doing canned corned beef .
Yup, even with a ton of butter that stuff hangs on like dingle berries. I use a nonstick pan for it. Or in the oven to heat up. I haven't had the canned stuff in ages.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky