Sriracha copy cat recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm wondering if doing a short ferment with habs will produce the same effect. Won't be the same flavor profile though.

Report back after you try it... That is one of the greatest things about this site-honesty about results.
If I get time. I'll do the batch of hab mango I've had fermenting for 10 days now. Been wanting to use the champion juicer I bought awhile ago.

So, I went ahead and broke out the champion juicer.
1000000889.jpg

And drained the brine from the habaneros and mango ferment.
IMG_20230704_114520701.jpg

And ran it through the juicer. This didn't take 5 minutes.
IMG_20230704_115155456_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230704_115736953.jpg

The pulp is virtually dry. The juice is nice and smooth. I took a taste. Ouch! Hot stuff! I was surprised that the ph was 3.6. After adding the vinegar. It dropped to 3.4.
IMG_20230704_131527420_HDR.jpg

Added 1 cup brine, 1.5 cup vinegar, tsp each of salt, onion, and garlic power.
Then, I added 1/8 tsp of xanthan gum to a cup of water. And mixed it with a emmersion blender so it is smooth and lump free. Then added that mixture to the hot sauce 1 tsp at a time. Mixing with the immersion blender each time to ensure a well blend. after 5 tsp's I was happy with the blend. Tasted again. Nice flavor and heat.
I could probably cut this further to give it a milder heat. But, I'm good with this. The profile has good flavor. But not as much sweetness as Jeff's blend. I might add some pineapple juice to part of it.

Last edited:
So, I went ahead and broke out the champion juicer.
View attachment 669604

And drained the brine from the habaneros and mango ferment.
View attachment 669605
And ran it through the juicer. This didn't take 5 minutes.
View attachment 669606
View attachment 669610
The pulp is virtually dry. The juice is nice and smooth. I took a taste. Ouch! Hot stuff! I was surprised that the ph was 3.6. After adding the vinegar. It dropped to 3.4.
View attachment 669607
Added 1 cup brine, 1.5 cup vinegar, tsp each of salt, onion, and garlic power.
Then, I added 1/8 tsp of xanthan gum to a cup of water. And mixed it with a emmersion blender so it is smooth and lump free. Then added that mixture to the hot sauce 1 tsp at a time. Mixing with the immersion blender each time to ensure a well blend. after 5 tsp's I was happy with the blend. Tasted again. Nice flavor and heat.
I could probably cut this further to give it a milder heat. But, I'm good with this. The profile has good flavor. But not as much sweetness as Jeff's blend. I might add some pineapple juice to part of it.
Looks great Steve! How is the mango flavor post ferment? Relative to sweetness in my SF version I used the mango flavoring and some artificial sweetener. You might try just adding some cane sugar to yours.

Reactions: Steve H
Looks great Steve! How is the mango flavor post ferment? Relative to sweetness in my SF version I used the mango flavoring and some artificial sweetener. You might try just adding some cane sugar to yours.
It was hot with a touch of mango flavor. Not strong. I'll add a touch of sugar. Probably won't need much. The mango/hab ratio was pretty close to 50/50.

Reactions: jcam222
Another one of my favs is this Scotch Bonnet hot sauce. Had this bottle for some time now and is getting close to being done. It has a nice sweet hot taste to it. Got hooked on this stuff when my brother lived in Freeport Bahamas.

Attachments

• 20230704_172953.jpg
    20230704_172953.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 13
Another one of my favs is this Scotch Bonnet hot sauce. Had this bottle for some time now and is getting close to being done. It has a nice sweet hot taste to it. Got hooked on this stuff when my brother lived in Freeport Bahamas.
I love a good straight scotch bonnet sauce

So, Ann came home with 2 bottles of these.

IMG_20230705_163738373.jpg

About 6.00 a bottle.

IMG_20230705_163744739.jpg

It shows that red jalapenos are used.

IMG_20230705_162546020.jpg

They don't look the same. The smell is quite similar. The heat is pretty equal. But the heat/taste is a bit different. They are both good. But, I wouldn't call this a replacement for the Huy Fong brand. If I'd really need to pick between the two. It would be a hard go. The sky Valley brand is quite tasty.

View attachment 669764
About 6.00 a bottle.

View attachment 669765

View attachment 669766
They don't look the same. The smell is quite similar. The heat is pretty equal. But the heat/taste is a bit different. They are both good. But, I wouldn't call this a replacement for the Huy Fong brand. If I'd really need to pick between the two. It would be a hard go. The sky Valley brand is quite tasty.
Sky Valley seems to make great sauces, so I can bet it's tasty. Try their Teriyaki sauce. Its my favorite and is not watery!

Sky Valley seems to make great sauces, so I can bet it's tasty. Try their Teriyaki sauce. Its my favorite and is not watery!
I'll look. Thanks. This is the first time I've seen this brand. The store probably got some in due to being out of the other one.

Just out of curiosity I have been looking at the Sriracha that the original grower near me has been selling since the Huy Foods fiasco. I did know that they started making their own version and foodies preferred it nation wide. I did not know how hard it was to find it even living here. I did finally find it from Amazon and ordered 3 16 Oz bottles for $32. I was planning on making my own but now I will wait for the order and see how it stacks up to the original.

underwood_farms_sriracha.jpg

Tried searching but didn't find anything.
We have just about finished our last bottle of sriracha.
With Sriracha basically unavailable, I'd like to make some. I tried once before, it was a delicious sauce, but it wasn't sriracha.

Anyone got a copy cat recipe they like?

Thanks!

P.s. previously I added 2% salt to fresh new Mexican red Chiles and a few cloves of garlic. Fermented for a few weeks and blended with some more fresh garlic, another 2% salt and some sugar (can't remember how much).
I'll check a few of our local Asian stores, and restaurant supply stores for you.
I have a small rib cook off this weekend, so I'll be making my rounds for a few of my secret ingredients. If I find some, how many bottles would you like?

Dan.

This makes me think of sharing my secret sandwich condiment sauce combo.
Make a ham and turkey (and maybe a slice of salami) sandwich and put a swirl of Siracha and a Swirl of Hines 57 on each slice of the bread and tell me what you think!!!

I LOVE the Siracha and H57 combo like that!

View attachment 669764
About 6.00 a bottle.

View attachment 669765

View attachment 669766
We have tried this brand. I like it. My wife not as much. But it tastes "latino" type flavor to me. Not Asian. Favor just isn't right.
Just out of curiosity I have been looking at the Sriracha that the original grower near me has been selling since the Huy Foods fiasco. I did know that they started making their own version and foodies preferred it nation wide. I did not know how hard it was to find it even living here. I did finally find it from Amazon and ordered 3 16 Oz bottles for $32. I was planning on making my own but now I will wait for the order and see how it stacks up to the original.

View attachment 669812
Would love to know how this is. It's a hefty price for sure, but if it's making sauce with $15/lb peppers or buying $11 bottles, it might be a toss up.

We have tried this brand. I like it. My wife not as much. But it tastes "latino" type flavor to me. Not Asian. Favor just isn't right.

Would love to know how this is. It's a hefty price for sure, but if it's making sauce with $15/lb peppers or buying $11 bottles, it might be a toss up.

I will post it for sure. They won't arrive until at least July 13 though. Not prime. I also noticed the picture above shows 11 oz where the order is for 3 - 16 oz bottles. The above must just be a general picture of the sauce. There is another picture with 3 - 16 oz bottles.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky