Sriracha copy cat recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm going to take a shot at this if I can find a supply of red jalapenos or fresnos. Will use a mix of recipes for my own idea. Definitely will ferment whole pepper and do most of the seasoning after.
Hoy Fung definitely grows jalapeño until they are red. They use to grow all of them about 10 miles from me.

You can usually find red jalapeños at any Asian market.

Reactions: jcam222
They are packed like this.
20230701_164824.jpg

Attachments

• 20230701_164824.jpg
    20230701_164824.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 10
I noticed it was missing on the store shelves a few months ago and managed to buy a few bottles on Amazon for $5-6, but that must have been the better days of the shortage. The only off brand I have tried is the Tabasco version and it's slightly sweet and less hot compared to the OG, but is pretty tasty in its own way. Still not the same. I'm curios to see what this thread yields.

What causes this bs stuff?
Remember a few years ago there was a "supposed" shortage of peppers and the original Huy Fong was limited? Yeah never happened.
I like the flavor, but not joining the hysteria purchasing.

What causes this bs stuff?
Remember a few years ago there was a "supposed" shortage of peppers and the original Huy Fong was limited? Yeah never happened.
I like the flavor, but not joining the hysteria purchasing.
I think it was because of this lawsuit.

Like I posted above they use to grow the pepper near me for many years. Then Huy screwed the farmer and bought his peppers closer to where the factory is located. If you always enjoyed sriracha you would know there was a distinct change in the flavor when this happened.

$23.3 million Sriracha verdict survives challenge, will be appealed

The Real Reason Huy Fong Sriracha Doesn't Taste The Same As It Used To

Interesting.
Looks like the original pepper grower has a sriracha they produce now. Trying to see if there is somewhere local to get it.

Now that you mention it, I did not. I was using a rubber glove over the jar. I burped the glove every so often once it expands.....
Ok, thanks! Now that I know someone that has used this recipe. And someone I trust. I'm going to do it. Though, I'm going to use a airlock. Just something I've been doing for ferments so far.

Reactions: indaswamp
It's good steve...promise. Just do not ferment more than recommended or the brightness of flavor will be lost. Sriracha is not meant to be a long fermented hot sauce....at least this is what I have learned. That recipe is spot on...the real deal. I followed the recipe to a T...used the stems too....

Thanks Keith. Never done a ferment this short before. Next step is to find some red jalapenos. I've seen them around here before.

It's good steve...promise. Just do not ferment more than recommended or the brightness of flavor will be lost. Sriracha is not meant to be a long fermented hot sauce....at least this is what I have learned. That recipe is spot on...the real deal. I followed the recipe to a T...used the stems too....
I see he says his sauce is brighter and less earthy than the commercial Sriracha. I do kind of wonder if a bit longer ferment adds that earthiness or funk? Also wonder on perhaps including a little fish sauce. I may have to do a batch of super sriracha with these red habs I scored today .Bought all they had for about 3 1/2 lbs
PXL_20230703_170231440.jpg

You ever do a version where you didn't strain and just cooked it down to remove excess water/liquid and get a nice thick texture as well?

Just curious since this pic looked so amazing as it was and had me wanting sauce like this versus a pure smooth sauce:
__opt__aboutcom__coeus__resources__content_migration__serious_eats__seriouseats.com__recipes__20120129-190369-sriracha-step-3-ddc8daa8c83244aeb9a7267258702402.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky