Spring cleanup time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Sunny, 40F on up to 50F by 11 made for a good day to do some smoker cleanup. First up I did the Lang, it got put away in rough shape after a huge cook last fall. Scraped, brushed, burned off with weedburner and scraped again on all grates and deflector pan. Decided to rub the exterior down with a light coat of vegetable oil too. I've not done it before but folks seem to swear by it. That concluded want I planned on doing but decided to drag out the 270 KC Smoker. I have t used it in 3 years so was a little worried what I might find inside. I was pleasantly surprised to find nothing nesting. A light scraping and hit with the weedburner inside and a good wipe down outside and she's good to go. Wiped down the heavy duty cover too. I probably should sell it but I hesitate as someday I might return to it as it's a little more hands off than the Lang. It took me a year to track down a 270 within 2 states. Whelp time to good off now.
1000006648-01.jpeg
PXL_20240329_180827444.jpg

I cleaned up my smoker today too. I had smoked 6 butts for a shoot at the sportsman's club on March 10.
Talk about a mess!

Reactions: jcam222
I cleaned up my smoker today too. I had smoked 6 butts for a shoot at the sportsman's club on March 10.
Talk about a mess!
I hear ya. Pretty sure mine was from when I did 24 butts for the school football team and neighbors family reunion. Scraped a coffee can and a half of "seasoning" out 😂

Nice group of cookers Jeff. Be watching this year for all the good meats coming off those.
I'll get a few small cooks in before the big one in May. In May I'm doing 24-30 butts for a couple graduation parties for my best friend and his friends sons. Following that up a week later with doing 500 steaks for the local Catholic school. Chiropractor here I come LOL

I've got a system down to do all mine . SmokeFire is usually every other cook . 26" kettle is the day after . My Performer is the one that goes the longest . Gas grill , just depends on what I cooked on it .
I keep an ash can , scrapers , and brushes in the storage box for the grills . That way everything is back there , Makes it easy .

I'll get a few small cooks in before the big one in May. In May I'm doing 24-30 butts for a couple graduation parties for my best friend and his friends sons. Following that up a week later with doing 500 steaks for the local Catholic school. Chiropractor here I come LOL
You is good seed there Jeff. I’m watching.

It's that time for sure. I been putting it off! Have several grills and smokers to do plus the patio. I was trying to get myself to use the WSM today for a brisket but I so like the overnight smokes on the pellet on low smoke. Just not enough smoke flavor even using the tube for me but it is so nice getting up and just putting in a pan and be done by 8 am usually than long rest.

I usually do a spring clean of all my cookers, and will probably do it in the next week or two. A couple hours ago I almost started with my Yoder being first. Got out in the garage and changed my mind in about 5 minutes.

I've kind of been cleaning as I go and with the mild winter we've had I have been using my grills and cookers enough that they are in pretty good shape. The only one I need to get out and check is the 14" WSM but it was cleaned pretty good before putting it away last fall. I will probably use it to smoke some cheese if we get another cold snap soon.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky