Spare Ribs (Jeff's Rub) and PBBEs (Pitfaced Spicy)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Misplaced Nebraskan

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 20, 2018
Austin, TX
Had to get some Spare Ribs going as it's been awhile. Been on a big brisket kick lately. Also Had a Pork Belly staring at me, so decided to get that going too, cause, why not?! The Spares got a good coat of Jeff's Rub, which is quickly becoming a go-to for me. I did the 3-2-1 method on those with a Trigg Treatment of Butter, Brown Surgar, Honey, and Tiger Sauce. For the PBBEs, they get tossed in Olive Oil and then coated in rub. I did Pitdfaced Spicy which is phenomenal for these! It is a great blend of sweet and spicy (low heat) that pairs well with the rich fattiness of the Pork Belly. Normally, after smoking I foil pan the PBBEs with Butter, Brown Sugar, and Honey, but this time I just went straight smoker to plate. Enough Rambling...

Cook Details:

Meat: Spare Ribs and Pork Belly Burnt Ends (PBBEs)
Trim: Membrane Removed from Ribs and Belly left alone
Rub: Spares got a coat of Jeff's Rub and PBBEs got Pitfaced Spicy Rub
Cooker: Pitts & Spitts Maverick 1250
Pellets: B&B Pecan Pellets
Style: 3-2-1 on ribs with Trigg Mix in foil / Straight Smoke on PBBEs
Temp: 225°F
Spritz or Spray: Nothing
Cook Time: 5-6 hours
Rest Time: 30 mins

Pics (comment on top):

Jeff's Original. So photogenic! :emoji_grin:

full

Gotta have those close ups!

full

Progress pics cause I'm a peeker... :emoji_sweat_smile:

full

3 Hours of Pecan smoke about to get foiled

full

Trigg Treatment

full

Last hour to let everything firm up a bit

full

Glazed and beautiful

full

Strong enough for a bite...

full

But still pulls away with ease. Right in the sweet spot for us.

full

Now I'm just playing around :emoji_sweat_smile:

full

Costco Pork Belly. Board size is 18"x24" for reference

full

Cubed up

full

Tossed in olive oil and Pitfaced Spicy Rub

full

Coated nicely

full

I pull the top rack out to place them on to help retain heat and then set that back in when ready. This time, just on top of the lower rack

full

Checking progress

full

Ready for snackage! Usually here, I'll finish them the popular way with Brown Sugar, Honey, and Butter, but I just ate them from here. Was a good change up from the norm.

full

Conclusion:

This cook went as expected and no real anomalies. I do think, that if I want to do Trigg style Ribs, I will stick with the Salt Lick Rub. That is what we normally use for that method. Jeff's rub we really like when done straight up, but decided to try it this way this time. It wasn't bad, just not the flavor profile we were going for. We usually find ourselves just going straight up on the ribs now with Jeff's rub and that will probably be the next one too. Speaking of... I need to get "signed up" and get to making more of that stuff. Great stuff!

For the PBBEs, I liked just snaking on them straight smoked instead of sauced/glazed. was a good texture contrast and will repeat again. The sweet and spicy from the Pitfaced Rub is just too good on these. I'm already thinking of the other Pork Belly in my fridge currently :emoji_pig::emoji_laughing:

Now to plan the next cook...

The 26er is doing well, still getting used to all the space, and controlling the heat.

Chris

Those look good. I used mine last week(I think). Weather in these parts still hasn't caught up with the rest of the country. Cold and windy with a warm and windy day mixed in.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky