SOUS VIDE PASTRAMI, A FIRST FOR ME!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ok AL my first sv I am doing the pastrami you did! My question is when you take it off the smoker and vac seal it do you let it rest and cool? Or did you put it in the fridge and do the sv the next day? Or just vac seal it still warm and put it rite in the sv? Thanks and keep the smoke rolling! I really enjoy your post and have learned a lot from them and the rest I read on SMF!

Ritchie
I just took it straight off the smoker & vac packed it & right into the SV.

Al

Me too, I just use tap water.

I didn't see anything in the instructions about not using tap water.

Al

We run vinegar water through the coffee pot every so often to clean it up. I don't know why that wouldn't work with a Sous Vide unit as well.

The sous vide probably does not get hot enough for the minerals and/or lime to form on the heat element because the water is always moving that keeps deposits from forming. However it would't hurt to use vinegar to clean just to be on the safe side.You folks that have these will know in time if it is necessary or not.

HT

Quick question SmokinAl, is their a reason why you soaked the corned beef overnight in water?  Is that a necessary and crucial step in the process?  I would think soaking it overnight would remove some of the spices and flavorings from the meat, so I am curious why you would do that.  I definitely will be trying this recipe as it looks delicious. 

Quick question SmokinAl, is their a reason why you soaked the corned beef overnight in water?  Is that a necessary and crucial step in the process?  I would think soaking it overnight would remove some of the spices and flavorings from the meat, so I am curious why you would do that.  I definitely will be trying this recipe as it looks delicious. 

Store bought corned beef is extremely salty. When I have used them I also soak them to remove the salt. Then season prior to cooking. If you want to cure your own corned beef this isn't an issue usually if you use cure #1 and not MTQ.

Store bought corned beef is extremely salty. When I have used them I also soak them to remove the salt. Then season prior to cooking. If you want to cure your own corned beef this isn't an issue usually if you use cure #1 and not MTQ.
Usually I just throw the store bought corned beef into the slow cooker, fill with water, and let it cook all day on low.  I never have soaked one to remove salt, but then again maybe cooking it in water all day helps remove some of the salt.  Not sure if the salt level would be too high if I didn't soak it and just smoked it and then put it straight into the sous vide.

Usually I just throw the store bought corned beef into the slow cooker, fill with water, and let it cook all day on low.  I never have soaked one to remove salt, but then again maybe cooking it in water all day helps remove some of the salt.  Not sure if the salt level would be too high if I didn't soak it and just smoked it and then put it straight into the sous vide.
My experience with store bought corned beef is that it is too salty for our tastes when just smoked. When cooked as you mention it is normally fine, especially if potatoes an cabbage are also cooking. Potatoes will suck salt out of the water and meat.

My experience with store bought corned beef is that it is too salty for our tastes when just smoked. When cooked as you mention it is normally fine, especially if potatoes an cabbage are also cooking. Potatoes will suck salt out of the water and meat.
DS nailed it. Big difference between using the meat for something like Pastrami and slow cooking with water and vegetables (Corned Beef & Cabbage is the plan for Sunday here).
Take advantage of the sales on Corned Beef this week! At $2.99# I pick up two or three, drain, since & soak, then vac seal & freeze for later. [emoji]128512[/emoji]

As the others have said, store bought corned beef is extremely salty. I soak it over night, but if you want to 8 hours of soaking & changing the water a couple of times will work well too.

I suppose some of the factory spices will leach out too, but remember your adding your own spices back to the corned beef, minus the salt. 

The reason they don't tell you to soak it when you buy them is because the normal way to cook them is in water & that cooking process removes the excess salt.

Good luck with your pastrami!

Al

I saved this thread and picked up a couple of corned beef points before St Paddy's day for $2.99 lb. The smaller one was about 4 lbs and I smoked it for corned beef and cabbage, but I saved the larger one for Sous Vide Pastrami with my Anova using these directions with a couple of changes.

I soaked the corned beef for 24 hrs to desalinate and then used the "Close to Katz's" rub recipe I found and let is sit for a day in the frig. I smoked it with hickory for 4 hrs at 225f and pulled it at 135f IT and put it in the sous vide for 36 hrs at 155f. I pulled it and let it rest a couple of hours and then froze it for a couple of hours to firm it for slicing. It was so tender I had to be very careful with the slicer so as to not break up the slices. Great taste and oh so tender.

I saved this thread and picked up a couple of corned beef points before St Paddy's day for $2.99 lb. The smaller one was about 4 lbs and I smoked it for corned beef and cabbage, but I saved the larger one for Sous Vide Pastrami with my Anova using these directions with a couple of changes.

I soaked the corned beef for 24 hrs to desalinate and then used the "Close to Katz's" rub recipe I found and let is sit for a day in the frig. I smoked it with hickory for 4 hrs at 225f and pulled it at 135f IT and put it in the sous vide for 36 hrs at 155f. I pulled it and let it rest a couple of hours and then froze it for a couple of hours to firm it for slicing. It was so tender I had to be very careful with the slicer so as to not break up the slices. Great taste and oh so tender.

It looks fantastic!

Great job!

Al

Looks good I have a little 3 pound corned beef flat I want Sous Vide cook and slice for Reuben sandwiches. I could use a simple step by step.

Randy,
SV really does an excellent job with CB or pastrami!

Al

I took it out of to packaging washed it in cold water, cut a pice of cheese cloth to lay over it to keep the spices from sticking to the meat, sloped it into the vacuum bak then dptead some extra pickling spices on top of the cheese cloth then vacuum sealed it. It's been cooking for 16 hours so far at 135 degrees.
Payed to much for it doesn't even look like a flat.
Here it is getting happy in my garage/ work shop.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky