SOUS VIDE PASTRAMI, A FIRST FOR ME!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I soaked it in water overnight, then coated it with pickling spices & black pepper.
Hi Al,

Thanks for the inspiration, I'm going to make some pastrami using this method tomorrow.  Question about soaking the corned beef over night ... the label shows it has 0.84% by weight of salt, do you typically season less than that?  I usually target 1% or slightly more and the pre-packaged corned beef I have shows 0.98% salt by weight (1100mg sodium for a 112g serving).  Does your pickling spice mix have salt included?  

That looks yummy for sure.  I'm thinking about applying this technique to a full brisket and using the sous vide method for the period when I would normally have the brisket wrapped.  It would save a lot of wood and sleep.  Good idea to practice on a cheap piece.  Thanks for sharing.

Nate

I called and tried to have Gourmia stop the $40 refund for the wifi that wouldn't connect sinse I was able to get it working, but they said it's a done deal and that they are glad that I got it to work and happy cooking.
Now that's coustomer service, I didn't expect something for nothing.
If good coustomer service means as much to you as it does to me and people who stand behind their product is important then check out Gourmia it works great!

Randy,

I called and tried to have Gourmia stop the $40 refund for the wifi that wouldn't connect sinse I was able to get it working, but they said it's a done deal and that they are glad that I got it to work and happy cooking.
Now that's coustomer service, I didn't expect something for nothing.
If good coustomer service means as much to you as it does to me and people who stand behind their product is important then check out Gourmia it works great!

Randy,
Your right Randy their CS is very good.

I had the same problem connecting up & they walked me thru it.

Got mine working right away, funny thing is I never use it.

The app is great for SV times & temps, but it's just easier to start it up with the buttons.

Al

Look what came today!

I'll give it a try this weekend when I have the time. I'm thinking of trying a London broil since my local Weis is having a special on them. Buy 1 Get 2 free.

Look what came today!

I'll give it a try this weekend when I have the time. I'm thinking of trying a London broil since my local Weis is having a special on them. Buy 1 Get 2 free.
Nice, I can't find any nice brussel or sprouts or hanger stake, so I'm doing Sous Vide burgers with bacon jam tomorrow. I'll take pictures.

Randy,
Sounds good!

Looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with!

Al

Darn! I did cook a burger today, but was in a hurry and didn't take pictures, this was more of an experiment anyway. The good news is that I have 3 more burgers ready to go. And so will do a step by step with pictures next time.
I can tell you this....lt was one of, if not the best bugger I have eaten and the bacon jam was en exelent addition to a perfectly Cooked burger.

Randy,

Darn! I did cook a burger today, but was in a hurry and didn't take pictures, this was more of an experiment anyway. The good news is that I have 3 more burgers ready to go. And so will do a step by step with pictures next time.
I can tell you this....lt was one of, if not the best bugger I have eaten and the bacon jam was en exelent addition to a perfectly Cooked burger.

Randy,
Looking forward to seeing your thread Randy!

I haven't tried burgers yet, but I do have a few in the freezer.

Al

looks great and I don't even care for brisket. So you like the Gourmia brand? I was looking at one with wifi. 

points giving.

boomer

looks great and I don't even care for brisket. So you like the Gourmia brand? I was looking at one with wifi. 

points giving.

boomer
Thank you !

Yes I like the Gourmia a lot.

It seems to be very well built.

I have the WiFi, but really never use it.

I suppose at some point I'll find a use for it.

Al

I started with 11/2 pounds of 20-80 course ground chuck, then carefully formed 4 6 oz patties with my stuffed burger maker. The idea is not to press the burger but to gently form the patties I ended up with 4 1/2 thick 6 oz patties that I placed on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Next I seasoned them with Grub Rub and a John Herrry sugar maple rub on both sides then I popped them in the freezer for a cupple house to firm them up so that when I vacuum seal them they won't be smashed. Next step of course was to vacuum seal them and get the Sous Vide ready.
I set it at 135 (med. rear) For 60 minutes to kill all posable bacteria. I only cooked one of the 4 burgers as an experiment.
After 60 minutes I removed the burger from the water and the vacuum sealed package placed it on a plate and reseasoned the burger on both sides.
It's still to cold out did to fire up the grill and it is necessary to reverse seer Sous Vide burgers for a nice crust. I used my cremebrulee torch used to fire up my pellets to get a nice crust no both sides. I toasted a Kings Hawaiian bun and spread mayonnaise on both sides (I put Mayo on everything) then I spread warm bacon jam on the burger and placed a a slab of cheddar cheese on top of the bacon jam and melted it with my torch, the broiler would work just as well. It was the best burger I have eaten, done to a perfect med rear.
The bacon jam didn't hurt it either and it's simple to make.

One pound thick cut bacon cut to 1/2 " pieces
2 good size sweet onions corse chopped
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup water
1 table spoon balsamic vinegar
In a heavy bottom pan fry the bacon until it is cooked but still has some chew to it.
Remove the bacon and all but about one table spoon of the grease.
Fry the onions in the grease until they turn golden brown
Add the brown sugar and vinegar and cook no med heat stirring constantly so it don't burn until it is Carmelized and has a jam like texture add the bacon and cook for another 2 or 3 min. Then remove from heat.
I wasn't happy with the texture so I put it in my food processor and turned it into a spreadable jam.
Next so will add pictures but it may be a few days.

Randy,

Al found some nice Brussels sprouts could tell me how you did yours? Found some Sous Vide recipes for them but I want to try your recipe.

Randy,
Sorry I didn't get back sooner Randy, my email stopped getting the daily updates so I didn't know who responded to my remarks.

Got it fixed now.

I bagged them with about 4 TBS butter & salt & pepper.

Set the SV at 183 for 60 minutes.

They came out perfect for us.

These were fresh not frozen.

Al

Hi Al,
Mine were fresh as well. I thought yours had butter in them, but was unable to find a recipe with butter and I needed to do something so I went with bacon, frayed garlic in bacon grease and fresh ground black pepper. It's all vacuum packed ready to be cooked. Next time no matter how these turn out I will be trying your method. The boss is feeling poorly lately and this is one of her favorite veggies so I am waiting for her to feel better before I Sous Vide them. When I do I'll send pictures. So far this is what I have.

Hi Al,
Mine were fresh as well. I thought yours had butter in them, but was unable to find a recipe with butter and I needed to do something so I went with bacon, frayed garlic in bacon grease and fresh ground black pepper. It's all vacuum packed ready to be cooked. Next time no matter how these turn out I will be trying your method. The boss is feeling poorly lately and this is one of her favorite veggies so I am waiting for her to feel better before I Sous Vide them. When I do I'll send pictures. So far this is what I have.
Gosh Randy, I think your recipe sounds better than mine. I don't know why I never thought to put bacon & garlic in there too.

I bet it's gonna be real good!

Al

We will see but I am still going to try it your way next time.
The recipe I used calls for a seting of 183 degrees for 50 minutes. Then they are spread out on a cookie sheet and placed in a 400 degree oven for 5 to 7 minutes until they turn a little black. I think they would be fine if I skip this step and cooked them for 60 minutes, but I will follow the recipe the first time. I'll post the whole step by step recipe when I cook them, but for now on your iPhone if you google Sous Vide cooked brussel sprouts recipes you will find the recipe I'm using.

Randy,

We will see but I am still going to try it your way next time.
The recipe I used calls for a seting of 183 degrees for 50 minutes. Then they are spread out on a cookie sheet and placed in a 400 degree oven for 5 to 7 minutes until they turn a little black. I think they would be fine if I skip this step and cooked them for 60 minutes, but I will follow the recipe the first time. I'll post the whole step by step recipe when I cook them, but for now on your iPhone if you google Sous Vide cooked brussel sprouts recipes you will find the recipe I'm using.

Randy,
OK thanks Randy!

Will do!

Al

Thanks for sharing this method.

I used your basic idea but coated it with Tony Chachere Bold, Coarse Black Pepper and some Garlic Powder. I also forgot to the searing since the family vultures were circling the kitchen island. It had a pretty good kick but not enough that the kids objected. The juice in the bag made a good Au Jus for dipping Ciabatta Roll Sandwiches.

Thanks for sharing this method.

I used your basic idea but coated it with Tony Chachere Bold, Coarse Black Pepper and some Garlic Powder. I also forgot to the searing since the family vultures were circling the kitchen island. It had a pretty good kick but not enough that the kids objected. The juice in the bag made a good Au Jus for dipping Ciabatta Roll Sandwiches.

It looks fantastic!

Great job!

Al

Ok AL my first sv I am doing the pastrami you did! My question is when you take it off the smoker and vac seal it do you let it rest and cool? Or did you put it in the fridge and do the sv the next day? Or just vac seal it still warm and put it rite in the sv? Thanks and keep the smoke rolling! I really enjoy your post and have learned a lot from them and the rest I read on SMF!

Ritchie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky