SOUS VIDE PASTRAMI, A FIRST FOR ME!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Sounds good, I have some ribeye all seasons with a special rub vacuum sealed ready to be thawed and put on the grill. I generally do these on a 700 degree grill. How do you think they would come out if I thaw them and do them Sous Vidi? Then sear them on a 700 degree grill? My grill also have a searing station that gets even hotter but I never use it because the main grill gets almost as hot.
Last time I did flat iron stake was for tocos. The flavor is incredible on the grill can it possibly be better Sous Vidi?

Randy,

Sounds good, I have some ribeye all seasons with a special rub vacuum sealed ready to be thawed and put on the grill. I generally do these on a 700 degree grill. How do you think they would come out if I thaw them and do them Sous Vidi? Then sear them on a 700 degree grill? My grill also have a searing station that gets even hotter but I never use it because the main grill gets almost as hot.
Last time I did flat iron stake was for tocos. The flavor is incredible on the grill can it possibly be better Sous Vidi?

Randy,
I don't know about the flavor ( though I think the butter helps ), but the texture and tenderness are unbelievable.
You know you could just leave those Ribeyes in the vacuum bags and sous vide them as is. Bet they'd be really good!

I need to make somthing that will knock her six off. Lobster works for me but she is not that big on it, any ideas?

Randy,
I'm thinking steak!

But I did some brussel sprouts with butter, and they were the best I have ever eaten.

The flavor & texture were off the charts. They were so good, that's all I had for dinner!

Al

Randy,
I haven't done a steak yet, but will in the next couple of days.

I used to do them just like you, my grill will get up to 700 degrees too.

But lately I have been blackening them in a CI pan.

I think I will SV them with Cajun spice then finish them in a CI pan with brown butter.

Lots of experimenting ahead!

Al

I hope you Q view that stake when you do do it. We both love brussel sprouts. Do you blanch them? A guy at a kitchen store who teaches cooking classes told me to blanch vegetables so they keep their color. Just s few more days and The cat will be out of the bag.

Randy,

Try a nice steak sous vide....meat is same color all the way through. Chefs been doing it this way for a long time using various methods before the hot water bath circulators came to be. I must admit I have cooked several times this way but I went on the cheap side and used a pot of water on the stove with a digital thermometer probe in the water, turning the burner off and on to maintain the temp. Only reason I haven't purchased one of the sous vide water circulators is that I can't decide on one in my price range (let's say $100 or less for example).

I compliment you on the strami too !  Your always thinking outside the box and trying new things, that's what make the SMF so cool

HT

and Merry Christmas too....

Try a nice steak sous vide....meat is same color all the way through. Chefs been doing it this way for a long time using various methods before the hot water bath circulators came to be. I must admit I have cooked several times this way but I went on the cheap side and used a pot of water on the stove with a digital thermometer probe in the water, turning the burner off and on to maintain the temp. Only reason I haven't purchased one of the sous vide water circulators is that I can't decide on one in my price range (let's say $100 or less for example).
I compliment you on the strami too !  Your always thinking outside the box and trying new things, that's what make the SMF so cool

HT

Dave Omak posted a heads up a few weeks ago that ANOVA had their $145 unit on sale for $99 and I jumped on it. It's back up to $145 now..

I want to throw a question out there to everyone who owns a Sous Vidi cooker. In addition to the great food that I can cook, my mane reason for buying one was to warm up food that I have already smoked, vacuum sealed and frozen. I have bags of brisket, pork ribs, beef ribs pulled pork and chicken. What temp should I use to reheat these foods?

I hope you Q view that stake when you do do it. We both love brussel sprouts. Do you blanch them? A guy at a kitchen store who teaches cooking classes told me to blanch vegetables so they keep their color. Just s few more days and The cat will be out of the bag.

Randy,
No I didn't blanch them. I bought fresh brussel sprouts, took off the outer leaves & put them in a bag with S&P & a couple slabs of butter.

They came out incredible!

Al

HT

Thanks HT!

Yep steak is definitely on the menu!

Al
I want to throw a question out there to everyone who owns a Sous Vidi cooker. In addition to the great food that I can cook, my mane reason for buying one was to warm up food that I have already smoked, vacuum sealed and frozen. I have bags of brisket, pork ribs, beef ribs pulled pork and chicken. What temp should I use to reheat these foods?
That's a good question Randy!

I would think that as long as you didn't reheat them at a higher temp than you SV'd them at, it would be fine.

If they weren't SV'd at all, then I would think 140 would do the trick, but I'm just learning this too.

Al

That's a good question Randy!

I would think that as long as you didn't reheat them at a higher temp than you SV'd them at, it would be fine.

If they weren't SV'd at all, then I would think 140 would do the trick, but I'm just learning this too.

Al
We rewarm a lot of different items using the sous vide circulator and, to me, there’s no single temperature that’s ideal for reheating previously cooked food that was then frozen. Assuming that the item in question was originally cooked to your satisfaction, sous vide or otherwise, reheat it in a sous vide water bath at a temperature equal to, or slightly below, the original target finish temperature. As a guideline, I find reheating food that was frozen, then fully thawed, takes about 45 minutes per inch of thickness. Add about 50% to that if the food is being reheated from the frozen state.

Also, if you want to reheat multiple items in the same water bath that were previously cooked at different temperatures, reheat them using the lowest finish temperature of all the items. Obviously, the time to fully reheat all of the items will extend somewhat based on the original highest finish temperature of any single item.

If you're prone to memory lapses as I sometimes am, it's best to mark all packages with the original finish temperatures prior to freezing.

Having never owned a Sous Vidi circulator, or even knowlng such a thing existed until a week ago, plus the fact that I am still waiting for mine to arrive, I am only guessing that the temp should be the temp that I would warm precooked food to in a microwave. I don't think I would want to warm brisket or pulled pork up to 205 degrees when all I need is for the meat to be heated through, but then I don't know if my thinking is right or wrong so I am depending on you out there who have actual experience reheating pre cooked foods. I know that what is hot to our tongue is 113 degrees so would that be warm enough? I don't want to over cook precooked food that took me many hours to bring to perfection.

Randy,

dls1
Sounds like you have a lot of experience reheating precooked foods with the circulator, have you found the good you warmed to the original internal temp to be as good as the day you finished them on the smoker? And have you actually warmed brisket and pulled pork up to 205 degrees?
Randy,

I'm certainly no expert, but it would seem to me that warming brisket or PP up to 140 would be ideal.

I'm just going to have to give it a try.

I have some of both in the freezer.

Al

I'm certainly no expert, but it would seem to me that warming brisket or PP up to 140 would be ideal.

I'm just going to have to give it a try.

I have some of both in the freezer.

Al
You should be fine at 140F. If you do both together, you'll probably need to go a bit longer with the brisket as it's a solid piece, whereas the pork is already pulled.

Last edited:
Actually I slice my brisket and pour the pan juices over the slices befor I vacuum seal and freez them.
I down loaded the wifi app and wow! What nice bunch of recipes come with the app.
Randy,

Sorry I'm so late on this, but I almost missed it completely!

Thanks to Randy for Bumping it up at the right time!! 
icon14.gif

Looks Awesome Al !!
drool.gif
----
points.gif

Love the Sammies!!
drool.gif

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky