Sous Vide Chuck -Help Needed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BuckeyeSteve

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 17, 2018
I just picked up two Chuck Shoulder Roast at Kroger BOGO. Works out to $4.00 lb. So what to do with them. I'm starting with chili. I use ground chuck and beef chunks in my chili. Usually I dice the beef and fry them in the grease from browning my ground chuck. But they seems a little dry in the chili.
I was thinking maybe I should soud vide the chuck before adding it to the chili. I'm going to cut around a pound of chuck 2" thick.

Should I cook it around 130 deg for less than 4 hours, or 135 deg for a longer time?
Should I sear it afterward or just dice it and add it to the chili?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

They cooked it at 155° for 36 hours then smoked it.

I would dry brine the roast then wrap it tightly in foil and put it in the oven at 250° for several hours. Low and slow will break down the connective tissue and add flavor and moisture to the meat. Then dice and sear. Add towards the end of the chili cook otherwise the meat will further break down and you'll have pulled beef.

Reactions: BuckeyeSteve

They cooked it at 155° for 36 hours then smoked it.

I would dry brine the roast then wrap it tightly in foil and put it in the oven at 250° for several hours. Low and slow will break down the connective tissue and add flavor and moisture to the meat. Then dice and sear. Add towards the end of the chili cook otherwise the meat will further break down and you'll have pulled beef.
Thanks Eddie. I've bookmarked that recipe. I think I'll try that with the other half of the roast.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky