Smoking Whole Chickens

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

benflo

Original poster
Jun 2, 2014
Today I am planning on smoking a couple of whole chickens on a Char-Griller Smoking-pro. I am planning on brining them for a couple of hours, rubbing them, then throwing them on the smoker using crabapple for 4-6 hours at 300*. Does this sound good? I've never done whole chickens, just breasts and thighs, so I'm a little nervouse. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Ben

After 4-6 hours at 300 you'll have chicken jerky. Go by internal temp and take them to 165, shouldn't take more than a couple hours.

I like 325-350 when I cook chickens on my kettle. They should only take a couple hours at most at that temp range depending on the size. 300 will work fine but crispy skin will be difficult. My chickens seem to cook quicker when I brine.

All right two hours, much easier then. I've got a probe thermometer and would have realized that quickly.
Will post pics,
Ben

well, the birds are on, pit is staying around 250*, cause there was a special on ribs , so I got some spares and am smoking them too.

They will be fine. If you want crispy skin throw them on a grill at the end. I suggest going easy on smoke though. Poultry really picks it up.

I forgot to post pics. The chicken was perfect, took close to 3 hrs because of lower temperature, the ribs were a little tough, but I should have left them on longer. Anyway here:
GALLERY]

Yeah, the color is nice but look like they needed a little longer I really didn't see any meat pulling back from the bone

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky