Smoking two 20 lb briskets

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chuckapp

Original poster
Sep 25, 2018
good morning. New to the forum. Looking for a little advice. Smoking two 20 lb briskets for a large group. Using a Weber Smokey Mountain 22”. I have never smoked a brisket this large, let alone 2 at the same time.

Based on my research, I need to plan for 1-1.5 hours per pound. I am hoping that isn’t the same equation for 40 pounds of meat, or I am gonna be in quite a time crunch. Any recommendations on how to optimize the cooking time without sacrificing tenderness? Would wrapping in foil/butcher paper for the entirety of the cook be the best approach here?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

No Sir, plan on 1.5 per on the largest Brisket. Next add 2 hours for the large cold mass and the fact that S#!T happens, especially when you don't need the hassle. Speaking of hassle, smoke at your chosen temp for 4 to 6 hours, wrap and finish in your oven. The Beef won't be all it could be as if you spent 20 hours tending the fire and coaxing the TBS...But, it is unlikely any of you guests are going to know the difference, UNLESS, you are catering a KCBS Judges Convention!...JJ

JJ has given you some sound advice. After a few hours your briskets won't know the difference between the smoker and oven(and neither will most of your guests). I'm a little more concerned about fitting two 20lbers on the WSM. You'll be using both grates I'm guessing. So you may need to do a few alterations to get them on there especially on the bottom grate. I think the ends of the brisket will be in direct line of the heat coming up from the ring. You may need to prop the brisket up in the middle with a brick or something covered in foil to make it fit and not exposed to the direct heat. At least until it shrinks enough to lie flat on the grate. Or you can cover the ends with aluminum foil to prevent burning.
However you do it please post some pics of the cook. I'm interested in seeing how this comes out.

Chris

Good advice. I will get some pics on here of the process, for sure!

Butcher paper is great when you stay in the smoker. It lets some more smoke in. For the oven, go with foil, less mess as there is no fat or juices escaping...JJ

BC91E297-FB4E-40C7-9949-DEC76E91F20B.jpeg

DA18B870-1574-4B91-8B08-33F264481796.jpeg
Ok. 5 hours on the smoker. Ready to wrap and send to the oven!

Attachments

• 50C2705E-1C47-4763-8CC0-F5CE8A830F56.jpeg
    50C2705E-1C47-4763-8CC0-F5CE8A830F56.jpeg
    276.7 KB · Views: 5
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky