Smoking these beef ribs this weekend

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

r2 builders

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 12, 2016
Escondido , California
Got these at the market yesterday and have them resting in a ziploc bag with BBQ Sauce in the fridge.
I have smoked beef back ribs before but not the ones called "beef country style ribs" which seems to be just rib meat off the bone.
Planning on 3-2-1 method in the offset using charcoal for fuel and smoking with a fruitwood (probably pear or mulberry)
Not married to the the 3-2-1 and the smoking method, looking for input if anyone has had good success with these types of ribs.
Look forward to hearing from all.

r2

20180801_154108.jpg 20180801_154111.jpg 20180801_154116.jpg

I was curious so I looked up the "country ribs". They are, from what I read, strips of meat from the chuck. I haven't done 3-2-1 on these but on a whole chuck (and short ribs) I do ~3hrs hours smoke - IT ~160°F with the smoker at 225-250°F then braise ~3hrs to desired tenderness which would work for the back ribs too. I haven't used either of those woods, are they "hefty" enough for the beef?

Hi WaterRat,
Thanks for the input.
The wood I was planning on using is definitely not like mesquite or hickory but I like a lighter smoke flavor.
What liquid did you braise with?

Hi WaterRat,
Thanks for the input.
The wood I was planning on using is definitely not like mesquite or hickory but I like a lighter smoke flavor.
What liquid did you braise with?
You're welcome. 1:1 beef stock to red wine works well. You can do just wine or stock solo, I like the combo. Usually rough chop a couple carrots, celery stalks and an onion and set meat on top. Best to have the pan with veggies and liquid up to temp before adding the meat. You don't need/want the meat swimming which is why I set on the veggies but ok if it's touching a bit. You'll end up with a nice jus.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky