Smoking Makes It Better!

Discussion in 'Smoking Bacon' started by sea_munky, Sep 5, 2008.

1. sea_munky

sea_munky Smoke Blower

Hi Folks.

Well, last week I told of my adventures in curing a "pancetta" or Italian rolled bacon. I basically followed this procedure with a few tweaks:

www.chow.com/recipes/10699

That adventure resulted in my conclusion that "me no like pancetta. me like smokey bacon."

So into the smoker it goes! (I was already smoking some belly bacon which I now know I should have cold-smoked. see other thread) So this is after 7 days with a dry cure and 5 days rolled tightly and left hanging to mature.

And here it is:

The lighting is bad in that pic. Let's try again:

Sliced up:

This was much better. All the sweet spice flavors like nutmeg mellowed out a bit. (I think that's what turned me off in the first place.) Nice smokiness without being too strong or ham-like. The slices are good as is or crisped up.

I kinda like the shape and think they'll be good on english muffins, eggs benedict, bagels, and burgers. I think I might try this again as regular breakfast bacon but rolled up. Lots of black pepper!

2. desertlites

desertlites Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I a bacon maker also-I like that-looks good-as you - I like good ole smoked porkbelly. maybe a thin filet'd loin?

3. bassman

bassman Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

That's some good looking stuff! One day I'll be brave enough to try making my own bacon [​IMG] .

4. bbqgoddess

bbqgoddess Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I hve to ditto bassman I am terrified to make bacon....
    but I love panchetta....maybe that will be the one that pushes me to the edge..making my own panchetta...thanks for the post, sea_munky!

5. mossymo

mossymo Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

sea_munky
    That looks delicious, very fine job you done !!!