Smoking Makes It Better!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sea_munky

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 23, 2008
Monterey, CA
Hi Folks.

Well, last week I told of my adventures in curing a "pancetta" or Italian rolled bacon. I basically followed this procedure with a few tweaks:

www.chow.com/recipes/10699

That adventure resulted in my conclusion that "me no like pancetta. me like smokey bacon."

So into the smoker it goes! (I was already smoking some belly bacon which I now know I should have cold-smoked. see other thread) So this is after 7 days with a dry cure and 5 days rolled tightly and left hanging to mature.

And here it is:

The lighting is bad in that pic. Let's try again:

Sliced up:

This was much better. All the sweet spice flavors like nutmeg mellowed out a bit. (I think that's what turned me off in the first place.) Nice smokiness without being too strong or ham-like. The slices are good as is or crisped up.

I kinda like the shape and think they'll be good on english muffins, eggs benedict, bagels, and burgers. I think I might try this again as regular breakfast bacon but rolled up. Lots of black pepper!

I a bacon maker also-I like that-looks good-as you - I like good ole smoked porkbelly. maybe a thin filet'd loin?

That's some good looking stuff! One day I'll be brave enough to try making my own bacon
biggrin.gif

I hve to ditto bassman I am terrified to make bacon....
but I love panchetta....maybe that will be the one that pushes me to the edge..making my own panchetta...thanks for the post, sea_munky!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky