Smoker shut off during overnight smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

amvet1969

Original poster
Sep 26, 2023
So first I'd like to say this my very first attempt at smoking so please don't be to hard on me. I made a couple mistakes but im still learning.
I started an overnight brisket smoke at 5:30 pm. I set the smoker to 200 and checked it many times throught the evening and went to bed around midnight.
I got up at 5:30 am and it was still going, internal temp was around 160. I decided to give it another hour and a half and check again to see if it was high enough to wrap.
At 7 I checked and the smoker was off, although there were plenty of pellets, they only dropped down in the center and at some point stopped feeding.
I don't know how long it was off, but at max it would only be just over an hour because it was still running at 5:30.
The meat probed then in the 115 to 120 range, I restarted it and bumped the temp up to 275 to get it back up to temp quickly.
Is this still safe?
Also I made 1 big mistake. I inserted a cooking probe into the brisket when I started and I think started probing later with a handheld but I believe it was already in the 140 range at that time.
I'm going to continue to cook since this is my first to see the whole process but I'm unsure if the meat is sage.
Thanks so much.

Also in agreement with others.
A remote read thermometer with high and low alerts is a MUST for overnight cooks.
There are many out there. InkBird and ThermoWorks come to mind.

In this case a probe in the pit with a low alert of 170 would have let you something was wrong with pit temp.

Also, welcome to the group from New Mexico.
Hope you hang around.

Also in agreement with others.
A remote read thermometer with high and low alerts is a MUST for overnight cooks.
There are many out there. InkBird and ThermoWorks come to mind.

In this case a probe in the pit with a low alert of 170 would have let you something was wrong with pit temp.

Also, welcome to the group from New Mexico.
Hope you hang around.
Thanks so much, even after reading the stickies I was still concerned as it's a food safety issue. I'm going to check into the thermometer today and appreciate the input.
It's currently over 180 and was wrapped so I'm hoping it's turns out nice after it hits 203 and has rested.
Thanks again everyone!

Feel free to kick up the heat from the beginning. Some folks start pellet smokers lower for an bit then kick up the temp later after an hr or two. I have a pellet tube for extra smoke and usually shoot for 275. You'll be happy with at least a 2 probe term. No need to probe the brisket until it is 190+. You may have been panic probing to check temp. I say cook on and enjoy it. Read some on here to know when a brisket it is done and how to hold it before slicing. Feel free to introduce yourself and let us know what you're smoking on.

Reactions: 02ebz06
The biggest benefit is that the IT got to 160 so like any whole muscle or ground beef, lamb and pork you're good to eat it but brisket will be beef flavored bubble gum and completely safe to eat. It just needs to keep cooking to get tender. It cooled as if you were refrigerating leftovers and cooling is much more lenient than getting up to safe temps. With cooling you need to get from 135 to 70 in 2 hours and 70 to 40 or less in 4 hours so over six hours like with vats of chili, stews and soups with smaller portioning and putting these vats into sink ice baths will get you there before into the fridge Most every scenario is safe going up or cooling down being intact seasoned meat and being in smoke that is acidic and a preservative as a cold smoke let alone hot smoking vs vats of just hot liquid foods. Get a multi probe therm that you can set the pit probe to a range alert if too hot or too cool. Even if the IT got to 130 on the way up and the smoker died means the outside of the meat got to near the pit temp so intact meat doesn't matter if it takes 4 hours or 24 hours to get to 140 if you even want it that high since intact meat is sterile inside or at least void of foodbourne pathogens. You need the right time, PH, water activity, temp and food to support microbe growth and if you remove any variable everything slows or stops. Salt and acidic sugar in rubs takes care of start up microbes on the surface which heat takes over in the first hour. Look at the food safety forum and read the top 6 or so pinned threads.

A bit late to the party here, but you were definitely fine. Would love to hear & see what the end result was like.
More info: not certain what was being used for the IT probe but if doing overnight smoking get a calibrated wireless reporting thermometer that can handle at least one grate probe and one IT for meat. Those can set off an alarm in the house/phone when temps drop or skyrocket. BTW never trust built-in thermometers, they are notorious for being inaccurate. Key is to eliminate the negative opportunities that can ruin the protein.

Reactions: jaxgatorz
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky