Big green egg temp got low while cooking brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mwb30

Original poster
Mar 9, 2024
Hello all, got the big green egg up to 225 last night and put brisket on around 12. Went to be around 12:30 when it seemed temp was holding steady. Woke up this morning at 6:30 to check on brisket and green egg was at 50 degrees and brisket flat probed 110. Egg quickly got back up to temp in about 30 minutes. Is this brisket still going to be safe to eat? I am not sure how long the egg was at 50 degrees for, but the meat has been in the 40-140 degrees range for awhile now.

Reactions: JLeonard
Hello all, got the big green egg up to 225 last night and put brisket on around 12. Went to be around 12:30 when it seemed temp was holding steady. Woke up this morning at 6:30 to check on brisket and green egg was at 50 degrees and brisket flat probed 110. Egg quickly got back up to temp in about 30 minutes. Is this brisket still going to be safe to eat? I am not sure how long the egg was at 50 degrees for, but the meat has been in the 40-140 degrees range for awhile now.
If you just rubbed it and not poked into it other than the thermometer ,then keep cooking. The outside where the bacteria are was pasteurized in the first 30-60 minutes. The inside is void of pathogens. Read the pinned threads at the top of the food safety forum.

A dual probe thermometer with hi/lo temp alarm,one probe for food the other for smoker temp.This will save you lot of stress and quite possibly a few $$$.
I’m typically on top of it. Just was over confident that the temp would be stable for me. I usually will wake up but thought i could trust it this time. Learned my lesson lol.

Reactions: JLeonard and dr k
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky