smoked summer sausage recipe needed..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bgaviator

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 9, 2010
Anyone have a good summer sausage recipe that's easy to make and that I could also utilize my Kamado Joe with? I don't want to go through the stuffing into casings process, but if a rolled log would hold it's shape well without casing I'd prefer to do it that way.
I have a Party Q auto-temp controller device, so I'm curious if I'll be able to keep the temperatures low enough. Thanks!

Sounds like Bearcarver's beef logs are what you are looking for. I've done them like that, but with my own twist for several years and will never go back to regular summer sausage! Here is a link to Bear's beef logs https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/bears-step-by-step-index.159333/

I use Hi Mountain seasonings and cheddar cheese in mine, roll them in plastic wrap, refrigerate overnight, smoke at about 180 until IT hits 155°, then dunk in ice water, dry them and enjoy! High temp cheese would work better, but at 175-190°, regular cheese doesn't melt too badly. I have always done mine in a stick burner, so anything lower was not possible. Now that I just got a pellet grill, I will start them low like Bear recommends, then increase temps.

Good luck, and experiment until you find until you find seasonings and methods you like

Reactions: bgaviator
Wow, that's a treasure trove of recipes! Thanks
Does dunking the meat in the water take off any of the smoke?

Wow, that's a treasure trove of recipes! Thanks
Does dunking the meat in the water take off any of the smoke?

@bearcarver has put a ton of work into his recipes and instructions. He is one of the go to guys on SMF when one is looking for how to do something new. Bear has been there and done that and written tutorials for just about anything one would want to put in a smoker!
No, it retains plenty of smoke flavor. It just stops the residual cooking process so the temp doesn't continue to climb

Bear's logs are great! I make them using any ground venison left from the previous season going 80/20 with ground pork. Always a big hit and I'm continually asked when I'm going to make another batch.....

Here is on that I use. You don't have to use venison.

3 ½ lbs Venison
1 ½ lbs Pork Back fat
5 Lbs Total weight

1 ½ Tsp—Cure #1
2 Tbs + 1 ¾ Tsp—Salt
1 Tbs—Whole Mustard Seed
1 Tbs—Course ground pepper
1 Tbs—Dextrose
2 ¼ Tsp—Garlic
¼ Tsp—Marjoram
½ Tsp—Red pepper Flakes
½ Tsp—Celery Salt
½ Cup Water

Cook at 140°F for 1/2 hour with smoke until the surface of the salami casing is dry. Raise the temperature to 170°F and cook for about 3 hours with smoke. Cook until a 155°F internal temperature is reached. Remove salami from the smokehouse and shower with cold water for 40 minutes. Then rinse with hot water for 10 to 20 seconds to remove grease. Chill the salami at 28 - 32°F until 40°F internal temperature is obtained. Refrigerate at 38 - 40°F.

Great recipe

I remember a long time ago I tried making summer sausage in the oven but I cooked it at way too high of a temperature.
I remember people chiming in that a lot of people also tend to add dry milk powder to retain a moist texture of the sausage. Does that still hold true as well?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky