Smoked Sausage Disaster

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
We still don’t know if the pineapple was fresh or canned. So there is that, but if it was fresh, the average pineapple (fresh) weight is 2 pounds. That is 8% to meat weight of fruit With 25# meat. This is an unworkable percentage of fruit generally.

This amount of pineapple may work in a fresh sausage made and cooked today, but won’t work in a cured sausage smoked tomorrow.

Reactions: crazymoon
We still don’t know if the pineapple was fresh or canned. So there is that, but if it was fresh, the average pineapple (fresh) weight is 2 pounds. That is 8% to meat weight of fruit With 25# meat. This is an unworkable percentage of fruit generally.

This amount of pineapple may work in a fresh sausage made and cooked today, but won’t work in a cured sausage smoked tomorrow.
The pineapple was fresh and was something I added and was not part of the original recipe. So that was probably the problem along with too much water. I did add the water a little at a time until I thought the mixture looked right. But I may have needed to work the mixture longer as well. Alot of good advice. Thanks to all. I never knew smoked sausage making was such an exact science! I am not giving up. My goal was to make a smoked sausage that had both heat and slight sweet to taste.

Reactions: crazymoon
Yeah, pineapple sausage is not an easy sausage to make. I don't recommend it for your first sausage. Get the techniques down by making a basic smoke sausage first, then try your attempt at a pineapple sausage. Pineapple is just a very difficult ingredient to deal with in a sausage. But when you get ready to tackle it, here you go:

Cajuneric is a member here. Tons of sausage recipes on his youtube channel. Find one you like and follow it...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky