Smoked pork loin spongy texture

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

emory97

Original poster
Mar 25, 2017

I bought a Tyson pork loin from Walmart yesterday and smoked it on my rec tec this morning. It all went fine, about 4hours it 225, but when I cut into it, it had a spongy, slick texture. Has this happened to anyone else? I've never seen anything like it.

I'm not sure. I took pictures then threw it away and went to Walmart and got a refund.

I put it in the refrigerator yesterday evening when I got it home, took it out this morning, rinsed, dried, then put dry rub on it, then into the red tec

I put it in the refrigerator yesterday evening when I got it home, took it out this morning, rinsed, dried, then put dry rub on it, then into the red tec
No issues there.

Just a bad one as others said.

That's what I figured. I showed the customer service at Walmart and told them to check the others, not sure if they took me seriously though.

Yuck! Tyson is usually the best when it comes to pork. I've cooked about 20 whole loins since xmas. Never had a problem. But that is messed up my friend!

Looks like it may have been enhanced and fermentation gasses made the pockets. A first for me and I have cooked hundreds of loins...JJ

I figured Tyson would be the way to go, I guess I just didn't have much luck picking it

Ok I posted your pic on a FB site where many of the members are in the meat industry and got a few good responses as to what happened here.

*PSE pork loin injected to compensate so that it would be moist because PSE pork does not hold water and cooks to a dry texture even when cooked to perfect temp. This was over injected. Most likely bought at a big box supermarket or wholesale club

* If it is injected it could be bacteria creating gasses inside the product. So it could be lack of cleaning injection needles or not disinfecting them.

*Over injected with a brine containing phosphate
 Without phosphate no holes would form

*as someone who works in the meat processing industry , direct competitors with Tyson actually, E.W. above is 100 percent correct 
That is over pumped with phosphates...
and to be even more specific it's probably not pumped , it's tumbled most likely.

*There are two things that could be causing this one more likely than the other. The most likely reason is that it is enhanced and the producer didn't have their pressure dialed in correctly on their injection needles or there was air in the line. Either way, in this scenario, the solution was pumped with air also entering the muscle.
Alternatively, and probably less likely, this is, in fact, voids left by some variety of bacteria that made their way in during the pump.
Either way its from the pumping procedures and not necessarily the ingredients.

Hope this helps answer the mystery.
Should have just listened to Chef JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky