Smoked Paprika anyone?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

LhornR

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 26, 2023
NE, PA
Finally got enough peppers ripe to make some smoked paprika. Started out with about 10 1/2# of processed peppers and ended up with 1 1/2# of dehydrated and powdered peps. I did four separate batches...the two types of Italian peppers I grew, the two types of paprika's, the Guajillo's and the Spanish Paquillo's. Smoked with Maple to start and added Cherry throughout the 6 hour smoke at 100-115°F.

So considering store bought smoked paprika that is about $7-8 for 1.62 ozs...this haul made about 15 of those bottles that saves me over $100. But the difference is dramatic...the store bought is just so bland in comparison and you can taste the anti-caking crap they put in it. My house smelled so damn good dehydrating them.

The beginning...but I added some more to this that I had ripening in a bag...

1693418588016.jpeg

Ready for the smoker....

1693418647044.jpeg

And a pic after a two hour rack rotation...

1693418679837.jpeg

The Spanish and Italian peppers were combined as they were a sweet smokey flavor. The Paprika's and Guajillo's were combined as they had a kind of bitter-sweet smokey flavor with a little more bite to them.

Powdered and vac sealed some in jars and vac sealed the rest and froze to grind later.

Also saved some Spanish Piquillo and Boldog Paprika seeds....

1693418746623.jpeg

1693418773893.jpeg

1693418802831.jpeg

1693418823364.jpeg

Good to go for my next batches of chili and whatever.

Last edited:
Excellent work! Great job documenting your process.

Thanks. I'm growing 18 different varieties of peppers this year to determine which ones I want to grow from now on...so I've been recording things like weights of the pods they produce...taste and characteristics of each and so on. Last year I did something similar but the heat and drought we had scrapped that experiment. Plus the paprika peppers I grew turned out to be super hot Thai peppers instead...was not happy about that.

Oh man that looks good....I'll just drop my addy in your DM for ya to send a jar or two!:emoji_wink::emoji_laughing:

Jim
:emoji_laughing: I hear ya...I was hoping the plants would produce a second crop but they have been at a stand still lately. Maybe next year we can talk. :emoji_wink:

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
Hi Guys,
Absolutely love smoked paprika! It adds such a rich and smoky depth to dishes. Whether I'm seasoning roasted veggies, marinating meats, or even making a flavorful dip, smoked paprika is my secret ingredient. It elevates the flavor profile and gives a hint of that irresistible smokiness. A little goes a long way, making it a pantry essential for me. If you haven't tried it yet, you're missing out on a world of taste. Trust me, once you start using smoked paprika, you'll find endless ways to incorporate it into your cooking.

Reactions: LhornR
I did that about 14 years ago. Still have a good amount in a mason jar. Great smoky smell but to damn hot for me. Reason I still have some left after all these years. Even gave some away.
View attachment 674852View attachment 674854View attachment 674855

Wow...yeah I dont do the hot stuff...does look good though. I only do peppers with the heat scale in the middle between bell and jalapeno. The Thai peppers that were supposed to be paprika peppers I grew last year I turned into a pepper spray/mash to keep the rabbits from digging in my yard to nest.

Hi Guys,
Absolutely love smoked paprika! It adds such a rich and smoky depth to dishes. Whether I'm seasoning roasted veggies, marinating meats, or even making a flavorful dip, smoked paprika is my secret ingredient. It elevates the flavor profile and gives a hint of that irresistible smokiness. A little goes a long way, making it a pantry essential for me. If you haven't tried it yet, you're missing out on a world of taste. Trust me, once you start using smoked paprika, you'll find endless ways to incorporate it into your cooking.

Agree 1000%. I couldn't have said it better myself. I use it heavily in my meat rubs too. Warning though...once you have the homemade stuff you'll never want to go back to store bought.

yeah I dont do the hot stuff..
I have some Carolina Reaper powder I got from another member . In the right amounts it has an extremely fruity flavor . It's hot though . Have to be careful not to over do it . Makes a great hot link .
Now I have loaded up Poblano and Anaheim
I'm jealous !!

Reactions: LhornR and 02ebz06
I have some Carolina Reaper powder I got from another member . In the right amounts it has an extremely fruity flavor . It's hot though . Have to be careful not to over do it . Makes a great hot link .

I'm jealous !!
You mean this stuff ? Haha A tiny bit is all you need.
Carolina Reaper Powder 2023-08-31.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: LhornR
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky