Smoked Chili

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kvgsqtii

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 28, 2022
SC
I know the Texans will be offended with me calling this chili, but it's how we like it. Nothing wrong with Texas chili, we like that alot too, but this is how we normally make it.

Started by pulling some ground beef out of the freezer. Local butcher has it on sale in 10 lb packages all the time so we always buy a couple and vac pack it. Formed that into a mini leaf and added some rub. Came out of a pack my son got me for christmas.
20220228_144435.jpg

Threw that on the weber with a quartered onion. Fire was half a chimney of kbb, some hickory chunks and whatever charcoal was leftover from the last time I grilled. A bit of foil to catch the drippings.
20220228_145020.jpg

Meat and onions stated on the smoke for 2-3 hours. Meat was ~160f when I pulled it. Gave it and the onion a rough chop before throwing it into the instant pot.
20220228_173130.jpg

Add the kidney beans, diced tomatoes, rotel tomatoes, garlic and spices (cumin, chili powder, cayenne, minced onion, salt and pepper). Giving a stir and cook for 40 min.
20220228_174002.jpg

When that had 10 min left I made some biscuits to go with it. I was turned onto this recipe by the owner of a local grit mill. Some of the best biscuits I've ever had. It's just the recipe from the back of the White Lily Flour bag. Only change I make is lard instead of crisco and I add 1/2 tsp of salt.
20220228_184624.jpg

20220228_184606.jpg

Cut with a regular size Mason jar. That's a double batch. One isn't enough.
20220228_185211.jpg

And done.
20220228_190115.jpg

Chili was done just about the same time.
20220228_190737.jpg

20220228_191101.jpg

Very good this time. It smelled very smoky, but not a lot of smoke flavor came through. It was the first time smoking the onion too and I should have thrown away the outer layer. It got very tough. All in all, a good weeknight meal. Thanks for looking.

Edit: spelling

Last edited:
Looks awesome! I like the idea of smoking like a meatloaf first, then breaking up for the chili! Great work! I’m definitely trying that technique.

No hate from me on the beans! It’s how I grew up! I only started doing the traditional Texas style recently and we love it, but it’s kind of like Chicago style verse NY style pizza! I love them both and they each have a very important place on my plate! But I won’t pick sides!

Bangin looking batch of chili. Like the idea of smoking things up before making. Biscuits look great to. I'd tear up a bowl or 2 of that.

The chili looks great! Man those biscuits look just awesome! And I'm also a bean guy...guess it's just what you grow up with.

Ryan

Nice work on that meal . Chili looks great , but those biscuits look fantastic .
Nice work bud .

It reminds me now of the first time my wife made biscuits...could've played hockey with them! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

That's some good looking chili and bisquits.
Thanks
That’s a very hearty meal and I’m okay with the beans.
It was very hearty. Thanks
Looks awesome! I like the idea of smoking like a meatloaf first, then breaking up for the chili! Great work! I’m definitely trying that technique.

No hate from me on the beans! It’s how I grew up! I only started doing the traditional Texas style recently and we love it, but it’s kind of like Chicago style verse NY style pizza! I love them both and they each have a very important place on my plate! But I won’t pick sides!
Growing up mom always did beans, but it helped to make a bigger batch of chili for cheaper.
I've done it as a loaf and in a ci pan. The loaf is easier and less cleanup.
Everything looks great but what first caught my eye were was the color you got on the smoked onions. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Thanks!
Those biscuits look slammin buddy ty for sharing
Np, thanks for the like.
Bangin looking batch of chili. Like the idea of smoking things up before making. Biscuits look great to. I'd tear up a bowl or 2 of that.
I only got one bowl of the chili. Kids hit it pretty hard. I probably had 15 biscuits though. Thanks.
The chili looks great! Man those biscuits look just awesome! And I'm also a bean guy...guess it's just what you grow up with.

Ryan
Thanks
Looks great

We use kidney beans also in Chili Con Carne, like the smoked hamburger and onion.
Also you did a great job on the tea biscuits :emoji_yum:

David
Thanks
Nice work on that meal . Chili looks great , but those biscuits look fantastic .
Nice work bud .
Thanks
Man that chili looks outstanding. And those biscuits.....have mercy, I could make a meal just on those!
Jim
I make a meal out of the biscuits everytime. Some with just butter, but they are slammin with some jelly.
It reminds me now of the first time my wife made biscuits...could've played hockey with them! :emoji_blush:

Ryan
I've made them 2" and 3" and like the smaller ones better. Thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky