Smoked bacon no cure on big chief smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zorkspork75

Original poster
Aug 15, 2012
Hi i picked up a pound and a half of uncured pork belly from my butcher today. Was wondering could i just put a normal dry rub on top let it sit for a few hours then toss it in my big chief till internal temp reaches 140°-150° let it sit slice then fry. Big chief runs at about 145-160° or do i have to use a cure or tender quick

You should use cure #1..... because..... meat in a low oxygen environment, like a smoker filled with smoke, can grow botulism...

Your smoker will have the internal temp of the meat at ideal temps for that stuff to grow... Not too much of a reason to skip the cure #1 step...

Also, you won't have bacon.... It will not have the taste or the pink color.... you will have smoked, seasoned pork...

And at a smoker temp of 145-160, the meat will take about 24 hours to get to temp.... I have done beef sticks that are about 3/4" diameter and they take 24 hours at 150 ish degrees to get to 140....

Thanks for asking that question..... Thumbs Up

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky