Slow-n-low or Fast-n-hot for wing'ies?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

WILL1E

Original poster
Sep 4, 2018
Appleton, WI
Having a decent size group over this Sunday to watch the mighty Green Bay Packers take on another unfortunate opponent! Thinking of doing smoked wings for something different than the usual Pork menu. This will only be my second smoke with my new Camp Chef so i'm pretty stoked for the set it and forget it approach so that i can watch more of the game vs. when i would use my Weber Smokey Mountain.

Anyways, plan on picking up a boat load of wings from Costco. Curious what method you guys recommend...slow-n-low or fast'er-m-hotter? I've read through some of the other postings on this topic and can't seem to find a tried and true temp and timing to start from.

I planned to do a dry seasoning on the smoker and then pull them and add different sauces and wings to separate crock pots for people to eat from.

Reactions: bertjo44
Low and slow and finish hot to crisp. I have with a friend done wings smoked, and we actually deep fried them before putting them out...

Reactions: bertjo44
Great question, do you have a fryer? Im in the same waters not the same boat (chiefs kingdom), if not then i would go high for crispy skin and wood chips/amazn tube for smoky flavor

Im a convert. Indirect high heat until done is the way to go for me. From my experience, there is little benefit in low and slow for wings. In fact the higher heat produces a much crisper skin and wont burn when cooking indirect. Add any sauce only at the very end.

I love low and slow to render out a bunch of the fat. If you let them go 3-4 hours at 225-250 they will be tender and the skin won't be rubber. You could move them to high heat if you want to crisp them up.

Im a convert. Indirect high heat until done is the way to go for me. From my experience, there is little benefit in low and slow for wings. In fact the higher heat produces a much crisper skin and wont burn when cooking indirect. Add any sauce only at the very end.

x2. The leaner something is the faster i'll cook it

Low and slow and finish hot to crisp. I have with a friend done wings smoked, and we actually deep fried them before putting them out...
TomKnollRFQ, fellow local BBQ'er!! Our local BBQ joint does this method (Parker Johns) and they are delish! I'm a frequent visitor on their ACE Wednesdays!

TomKnollRFQ, fellow local BBQ'er!! Our local BBQ joint does this method (Parker Johns) and they are delish! I'm a frequent visitor on their ACE Wednesdays!
I'm actually meeting up with Humdinger from there tonight at the Menasha location! Never had their wings yet but man if they do the smoke and fry method no wonder it's packed on Wednesday!

I agree with this. I've done the smoke/fry which is tough to beat but otherwise low and slow then over direct heat for a few minutes to crisp works great also. Now I'm getting hungry for wings.

I like to go low then flash fry but the other day I did a batch on high and they turned out great. Not fatty. Nice crisp to them. There were just rubbed down before hand. Did them for about a hour in the smoker. Had a few that were close to the heat source and they got a tad dark.
30874021628_b7369cc654_k.jpg

I always use the kettle with the Vortex for chicken parts - especially wings. No oil needed and crispy skin to boot.

Chris

I'm actually meeting up with Humdinger from there tonight at the Menasha location! Never had their wings yet but man if they do the smoke and fry method no wonder it's packed on Wednesday!

I'm a wing connoisseur and there wing's are number 1 on my all time, any location list by far!
The rest of their stuff is OK, nothing compared to freshly smokesd sa

Thanks for the tips guys!!

Do most of you snip the wing tips off before cooking or do you leave them on? I’m debating about leaving them whole, snailping just the tips or splitting them up completely.

I don’t know to many people that eat the tips so I wasn’t sure if it was worth the space they take up if I left them whole.

I leave them on, but some snip them off to make broth. It's all a matter choice.

Chris

I don’t know to many people that eat the tips so I wasn’t sure if it was worth the space they take up if I left them whole.

I do them both ways, but yeah, you can definitely fit more if you cut them up and snip off the tip. If you make a lot of wings, save the tips in the freezer - they make great stock.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky