Should I confit brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Simi Kay

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 2, 2023
Czech Republic
Hi guys, the beef briskets that I get from my farm, are high quality grass-and a little grain-fed. They have got a fine fat cap, and are probably between the high select and the low choice in marbling, which, according to BBQ experts is very challenging for the beginner. I have seen the Mad Scientist BBQ video where he confits a brisket to make it extremely juicy, have any of you tried it, and would you recommend it for my case? I have almost zero experience cooking brisket, though I have been cooking quite a bit on my offset.

Inject it with better than bullion (double strength, on a 1” grid.)
Smoke it unwrapped to 140-145, pull it and wrap in double foil so it won’t leak. Continue at 220 or so until it his 180 or is probe tender. Turn the smoker down or put it wrapped in an oven at 145 for at least 6 hrs.

Promise it will be the best you’ve ever had.

We always render the trimmings from the briskets we cook, but honestly, rather than juicing the briskets with the tallow, we keep it for making French fries, and just proceed as above noted.
I use prime when I can get it, but I often use 15+ y/o dairy cow double briskets from the local Amish. Have never felt l needed more fat. If it’s a thin cut, I will cut off the extended flat and cook it separately as burnt ends after it gets to 140

Reactions: DemonPit
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky