Sausage run for freezer stock .

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I've seen it done both ways, but I'd put myself in the camp that would mix the seasonings into the cubed meat, then grind.
I normally grind then mix . Like said above this was to cure the meat first , before grinding .
If I do chicken sausage , I mix the seasoning in first , before grinding . Because I do it over a couple days , and like to have the salt on the chicken cubes overnight . Just to help keep it safe .

Reactions: DougE
I normally grind then mix . Like said above this was to cure the meat first , before grinding .
If I do chicken sausage , I mix the seasoning in first , before grinding . Because I do it over a couple days , and like to have the salt on the chicken cubes overnight . Just to help keep it safe .
Makes sense. Once I get going on sausages, I expect I'll learn more from actual experience.

Reactions: chopsaw
Lot of work, but you did it wonders
Thanks for that comment , I appreciate that .

Now you'll have to do some shopping for stuffer ( or parts ) for the next go around.
I had to fix it just to finish . I've put a bunch of grind thru that thing . Gets to the point you can't crank it , and I ripped the counter top off the base cabinet on the upswing . Nice and smooth now . For awhile .

Thanks bud .

That is called scope creep.
LOL . I'm having flash backs from my big job days . Worst thing you can do is perform beyond the expectations of a General Contractor .

chopsaw chopsaw I’ve been making sausage since I was 5. My great grandparents had us making tubs and tubs of Swedish Potatiskorv (potato sausage). My job was to grind the onions which is why today I react so bad when cutting them. Instant tears, just like watching Old Yeller!

I stopped making it every Christmas because no one in my family likes it. They’re right, it’s the blandest stuff. But try to spice it up and it’s not Swedish anymore because “spice” and “Swedish” are not synonymous. It’s related to why we never honk our car horns or yell, “Hey!”

I make a lot of summer sausage, Italian, breakfast, and my favorite is bratwurst. Took a long time to figure out a bratwurst spice combo that reminded me of my favorite meat market back home. I’m always learning something new from the folks here and it keeps changing my game, which is great.

The sausage making tools we used as a kid were all hand crank or a plunger mechanism. I grew up on a beef farm so we always had plenty of hamburger and pork (traded a couple for a side of beef). And we grew our own potatoes and onions. It was all organic because all we had was manure. We weren’t trying to be organic, we were just thrifty. When I decided to make sausages again I bought myself some nice sausage making tools. I figure put in my time hand cranking so I don’t feel bad letting the machines do it. So much easier now.

That's some great looking sausage
Thanks Robert . Don't buy much store bought anymore . I'm down to the last couple pounds of breakfast now .

Dont hear me say this to many guys...But mercy thats some pretty sausage you got there.
Had a fella ask in another thread if " My meat was dusty "
Had some of the chorizo last night . Makes a great supper .
Thanks for the comment bud .

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky