Sam's or Costco

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wingrider1

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 3, 2010
West Virginia
I am new to smoking meat. As this is even teaching me different cuts and types of meat. I see a lot of people get their meat from Sam's. I don't have a membership to either Sam's or Costco. Has anyone looked to see the quality of meat at Costco? I am gonna get a membership costco is closer to me..But if they don't carry quality meat then sam's it is. Any advice welcomed.

I'm sure they both carry quality cuts, I have a Sam's card myself but buy most of my meat at Smith's/Krogers from the bargain bin. Sam's/Costco is good if your feeding a Army.

Don't know, we have a BJ's here and they don't even carry brisket
PDT_Armataz_01_19.gif

You can probably go there and check them out before deciding on a membership to either one.

I have belonged to Costco for many years, even though it's about 20 mintues away. I have always been pleased with the quality of the meats at Costco, although I haven't tried everything. Most of what I have bought has been steaks and ground beef. My most recent meat purchase was babybacks and they were great!

If you are lucky enough to have both of them in yout town then I would go and they will let you go and look but you cann't buy till you join. I would do that for we have about 4-5 sam's in our town and I would only buy any meat from 2 and thats ALL.

we dont have a sams around here and costco all be it consistent in quality isnt allways the best on price. i have found one of out local markets to be very good on price(saars market place), but you really have to keep an eye on the quality. we do buy alot of top sirlion at costco, and sometimes some salmon( when im not holdin up my end and gettin skunked).

I have a membership to both and shop at both often, both have quality meat.

For my family it depends on what we are buying.

We prefer the Ribs, Ribeyes, Tritips, Seafood and Flank steaks at Costco's.

At Sam's we like their Chicken parts, Pork butts, pork Tenderloin and Ground beef better, mostly because of cost size/quantity selection.

This was exactly what I would have post. Our local costco is busy, the sam club isn't, so if I don't want to stand in line I go to Sams. Sams tends to be slightly higher but then again there are days that costco is higher. I think the service at Sams is better or friendlier.

I buy lots of meat from Sams club they are probably the best buy around here unless you can catch one of the grocery stores when they are running a sale and that only seems to be on butts. The only place I can find a brisket around here is at Walmart or Sams. There may be brisket at one of the butcher stores in town but they are WAY over priced.

We're Costco fanatics - did my first tri tip last night and it was scrumptious. They also trim the membrane off the ribs they sell - a real time saver. Butts come 2 to a package, usually no bone. I cook both and vacupack what we don't eat for a rainy day.

From what I'm reading here, you won't go wrong with whatever you choose.

I used to belong to both, now I belong to neither. I was never really blown away by the meat the offered. I prefer the local butcher shop for sure. If I need bulk meat I go to Restaurant Depot.

Thanks for the information...Sam's seems to be the favorite. Going to talk a walk thru on the guest pass and see what they have..Thanks again.

Sam's just had a big lay off in Jan 2010. There are more Costco in our area than Sam's club, and the Costco are all very busy, not true the Sams. In a 25 mile radius there are 7 Costco and 4 Sams clubs, there prior to Jan there were 5 Sams clubs. The selection in the meat department is not as good as it used to be at Sams. Since Jan. I have gone to Sams didn't like the price on the meat I was looking for, drove over to Costco (for me Sams & Costco are about 1 mile apart), same meat was higher at Costco, finish shopping go back to Sams (its on the way home) they were already out of that cut of meat, and nothing in the back. I have had this happen twice now. I have noticed that Sams meat cases are not as stocked up as they used to be.

We don't have Sams, but I shop at Costco at least 1x per week. I usually buy spare ribs (then trim them myself), chuckies, and a few misc. cuts there. I also watch the Safeway add's, they usually have some good deals on pork butt or chicken once or twice per month.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky