rub recipe curing canadian bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DEERMAKER

Smoke Blower
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 12, 2024
NORTHEASTERN PA
Any fail-safe recipes for dry cure canadian bacon
Doing tomorrow (tues)
appreciate th help
and length of time needed

yeah. To meat weight:
0.25% cure#1
1.5% salt
0.75% sugar

Apply on all sides as equally as possible. Put it in a ziplock bag and remove as much air as you can. Cure in the fridge for about 14 days, massaging and flipping every day or two.

This method should only be used on pieces 3 inches or less in thickness but you can likely mash it down some if it is a little over 3 inches thick.

Why would you not use tender quick and then fry? The Morton recipe for canadian bacon specifically says to fry.

Thank you for that.
The USDA has banned nitrates from bacon (belly) specifically because it’s fried. At those temperatures the nitrates can form nitrosamines. They also regulate the input of nitrites to 120ppm and require a form of ascorbic acid to be mixed in for commercial bacon. Morton no longer supports a recipe for bacon as a result of that.

Thank you for that.
The USDA has banned nitrates from bacon (belly) specifically because it’s fried. At those temperatures the nitrates can form nitrosamines. They also regulate the input of nitrites to 120ppm and require a form of ascorbic acid to be mixed in for commercial bacon. Morton no longer supports a recipe for bacon as a result of that.
Thank you for the explanation.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Tender Quick is a gradient cure method. Meaning that the salt, cure, and sugar are higher than the 1.5%, 0.25%, and 0.5-0.75% used for a equilibrium cure that SmokinEdge SmokinEdge and DougE DougE described above.
Gradient cure means that the 3-5 days in the Morton recipe is a best guess on salt taste preference. It takes a bit of trial and error to determine your best time in the cure.
A lot of people use TQ and love it. That's why Morton still sells it.
I don't use the gradient method, nor do I use TQ for the sugars and nitrAtes.
I use equilibrium where I establish the salt, cure, and time. If I go too long, the salt and cure never exceed the levels set by the dry brine.

I'm a low sodium and no sugar person.
I make loin bacon at 1% total salt, so 0.8% salt and 0.25% cure.
Be warned, low sodium means longer cure time as in 4 weeks. Trial and error on time has lost me a few pieces of loin. Luckily it is cheaper than a lot of meat cuts.

I’m genuinely curious about why you wouldn’t use TQ for meats that will be fried. I’m learning daily and trying to get better results when I have time to devote to curing.
Loin bacon is usually just lightly heated and browned as the low fat means higher heat (used for belly bacon) dries it out into shoe leather. I think that is how Morton covers their tail to get around the USDA concern for nitrosamine developing in cooked meat.
Also nitrosamine link to possible carcinogenic is a slim chance in lab rats.

Bears bacon is smoked to 145 so heating it up is all that's needed no real frying.
Yup . I double smoke it and eat it like ham .
20200614_170215.jpg
20200614_174551.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky