Roast Beef, RonP's Pulled Chicken and a fatty on this beautiful fall day. (With updated Qview)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rbranstner

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 18, 2007
West Fargo, ND / Northern MN
I have been wanting to try RonP's pulled chicken recipe for a while now and I have finally gotten around to it. I picked up two birds at Sams last night and rubbed them down this morning with some Garlic & Herb, Old Bay and Steak & Chop seasoning. I put them on the Smoker and ran it at 225-250 until they hit 265 then they were removed and put into a tin pan with some chicken stock and went into the oven at 185 degrees (which is where they are right now) for several hours until they are pulled. Ron use to put them in the oven over night and pull them in the morning. I can't wait until the Vikings game is over then I am going to try and pull them. The skin and bones will get put into the stock pot and I am going to make soup.

Next we have a Eye of Round roast that has been in my freeze since last winter that I have been meaning to make dried beef out of but haven't gotten around to it so I decided to try making some roast beef with it. I rubbed it last night with Pepper, Accent, Garlic & Onion Powder and Montreal Steak seasoning. Today it went in the smoker at 225-250 until it hit 140 then I pulled it and let it rest in foil then I will cool it in the fridge and slice it tomorrow. I can't wait to try this roast beef on sandwiches.

And  finally we have my sour cream and chive stuffed fatty. It has been a long long time since I have done a fatty so I figured I would throw one on. I make a box of Sour cream and chive scalloped potatoes and wrapped it in the Jimmy Deans hot sausage and wrapped it in Bacon. Here are some pictures.

This is the roast I was working with.

886528d8_DSC00461.jpg

The roast all  rubbed up and ready to rest in the fridge  for the night.

f75b4800_DSC00464.jpg

The chickens all rubbed up waiting to go into the smoker.

f3b7aba7_DSC00466.jpg

Here is the load that is going into the UDS.

7039f7b1_DSC00467.jpg

The birds are removed at 165 and ready to hang out in the oven for a few hours.

e0d7d153_DSC00468.jpg

The roast cut  in half and going into the fridge to chill until I slice them tomorrow.

f3081ec1_DSC00471.jpg

And last but not least here is the fatty cut in half and going into the fridge for snacking.

64b490e4_DSC00473.jpg

Its been a fun Sunday afternoon smoking meat, watching football and surfing the smoking forums. Thanks for looking. I will have sliced roast beef and pulled chicken pictures tomorrow.

UPDATE with pulled  chicken, and sliced roast beef pictures.

Here are the birds after they are coming out of the oven and they are ready to be pulled.

9824e158_DSC00457.jpg

Here is what I had  after it was all pulled. I think I had three nice size vacuum bags for the freezer.

7ae09c8b_DSC00458.jpg

All of the rest of it went into the stock pot for some smokey chicken soup.

f0fba16f_DSC00459.jpg

Here is a shot of my roast beef loot.

751047c2_DSC00460.jpg

A close up shot.

5a5253d4_DSC00461-1.jpg

All of these are going into the freezer.

9427cd40_DSC00462.jpg

The roast beef tastes great but I was hoping for  just a tad more season flavor. Next time I think I am going to put more rub on it or maybe come up with an injection to get a little more seasoning into the middle of the meat. I can't wait to use some of this up in the next few weeks while deer hunting. I have a good stock pile of smoked sliced roast beef, chicken and corned beef in the freezer for hunting and ice fishing.

Last edited:
Everything looks delicious Ross!

Wish you would have pulled the chicken so we could see how juicy it is.

That roast is going to make some great sammies. It looks perfect!

Wow, all that food looks sooo good Ross.

Now can't wait to see the chicken. I was wanting to see if I could pull some.

There are a few people I know that like it instead of PP.

Happy Smokin'

Mike

P.S. I have been a Vikes fan since back in 67. My Dad was stationed at a reserve center in Eau Claire, Wis

after his stint in Vietnam. Been a fan ever since.

Awesome Trifecta, Ross !!!!!

Great sammies are coming your way!!!

Don't forget to pull your bird tomorrow!!!

Bear

PS: Give your Dad a "Welcome Home" from me too!!!

I pulled them last night and they pulled like a dream and are so juicy. They were in the oven for around four hours and next time I wouldn't be afraid to go longer like RonP did in the past. I took pictures but will post them tonight after I slice up the roast beef. I have lots of good smokey skin, bones and chicken stock that I am going to make into some smokey chicken noodle soup.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky